The Trebuchet ~ Memories from Camp Broken Antler

Dave Curry Contributing Writer Temperatures were cooling down and a thin layer of smoke drifted horizontally from the chimney of the cabin framed by a cloudless, blue sky. Four or five muddy trucks and jeeps...

The Draw of the Woods

The Pocahontas Times October 18, 1917 We never felt the draw of the woods any stronger than this year, but Prometheus was a free man compared to us. You will remember that that gentleman, because of...

Huntersville Traditions as a way of life

Coming up on the annual Huntersville Traditions Day Friday and Saturday, it seems fitting to reprint some excerpts from letters and articles submitted to The Pocahontas Times from Vera Ritchie, of Falls Church, Virginia. The...

Linwood’s Got Talent

The sixth annual Linwood’s Got Talent competition was held Thursday evening at The Fiddlehead in Slaty Fork. Youngsters and adults took the stage and and entertained the crowd. Emcees Thomas Clevenger and Paul Marganian...

I Remember…

‘A New Direction’ A revival was held at the Pocahontas County Opera House last week. On the first night, Pastor Shaun Clark, of Mountain View Assembly of God, spoke about God’s love. Young Life director David...

Potatoes ~ the prince of foods

Laura Dean Bennett Contributing Writer Part II As potatoes marched across the continent, they were proving their incredible value to the people who grew and ate them. Europeans’ health improved as they included the potatoes in their diets.  Diseases...

I Remember…

Reunions ~ Family, Class and Homecomings Summers are filled with reunions. Time to get together and remember. Remember our youth, friends and family. Stories are retold – often of pranks the boys played – but not...

I Remember…

Memories in the making and relived Today and yesterdays past Last week, I traveled a road of memories with my niece, Billie, who was visiting from Post Falls, Idaho. Kinship and Friendship I introduced my niece to the...