Subscribe Today

Preserving Pocahontas

The Huntersville Presbyterian Church was built as a one-story structure in 1854 and served the community as a place of worship until 1971. In 1855, the women of Huntersville formed the Female Benevolent Society...

Preserving Pocahontas

Three unidentified children are standing beside the Huntersville School in this photo taken in the early 1920s. This building, with grades one through three on the first floor and grades four through six on...

Preserving Pocahontas

Phone company office worker Margaret Coberly at her desk in the Marlinton Office. Pocahontas Telephone Company was sold to Telephone Utilities of West Virginia in 1959 due to expanded demand for phone service created...

Preserving Pocahontas

This unidentified portrait was found at the home of J. Z. “Zack” and Erma McCarty Johnson in Edray. Please contact Preserving Pocahontas if you can identify the couple. Courtesy of Margaret Johnson Reynolds, ID:...

Preserving Pocahontas

Three couples pose in front of Shay Engine No. 2 at the old logging town of Spruce on Cheat Mountain. Courtesy of Keith Moore, ID: PHP003203 Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or...

Preserving Pocahontas

This is a photograph of a painting made from a sketch. It is the home of Joseph Wooddell, which was located near what is now Green Bank. The photo was contributed by Dusty Wooddell,...

Preserving Pocahontas

Bruffey Reunion at Bruffey Creek Church August 26, 1933.  First row l to r: Bill Williams, Remus Williams, George Clendenin, Jr., Ike Williams.  Second row: Rumus Bruffey, Lorn Dale Clutter (baby), Jim Bruffey, Thompson...

Preserving Pocahontas

Workers are pictured in front of a building at CCC Camp Copperhead on Bird Run near Frost, W.Va. Civilian Conservation Corp Camp F-17 was established in 1935 and was closed in October 1937....