Subscribe Today

Seventy-Five Years Ago

Thursday, July 5, 1945
Our Army and Navy Boys

Aboard the USS Bunker Hill, Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremton, Washington, (Delayed) – Lacy P. Kershner, 21, carpenter’s mate, third class, USNR, son of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony D. Kershner, of Beard, helped battle flames and dense smoke during the heroic struggle to save the big carrier, USS Bunker Hill, after two Japanese suicide planes had struck her off Okinawa. He fought fires in the after flight deck.

Kershner entered the Navy in March 1944.

He was interviewed aboard the Bunker Hill in the Navy Yard where the scarred and battered carrier is undergoing repairs. She was hit May 11 after 58 consecutive days and nights of combat against the Japanese.

Three hundred and seventy-three men died, 16 are missing and 264 were wounded as a result of the suicide attack.

Arriving in the Pacific area in the fall of 1943, the Bunker Hill had participated in every major landing up through Okinawa. Her planes had sunk 162,000 tons of enemy shipping, probably sunk another 253,975 tons and damaged 454,075 tons. Air groups operating from her decks had shot down 475 Japanese planes. On two successful days off Okinawa, her fighters brought down 33 and 34 planes. Her own anti-aircraft guns accounted for 14 planes which came within range.


Mrs. Paul Dean, of Marlinton, sends in the following letter from her brother, who is serving in France:

Dear Paul and Sis;

Thought I would write you a few lines to pass away the time. I have not heard from you since I wrote you last, which has not been too long. I have been late getting my mail because I am not with my outfit now and have not been for the last two months…

Guess you have heard of the point system for discharging men from the army. Well, we have to have eighty-five points before we can be discharged. I have ninety-three, but heard that five points are to be taken away. That leaves me eight-eight, which is still enough. So it is possible that I will get home some time this fall. I am afraid to build up too much hope for they may change it again. I heard that the Air Force will need one hundred and ten points. If so, I will not have enough. I do not know how true it is, but I am hoping for the best.

Mom and Ira are thinking of moving to a farm soon, but I guess you know more about that than I do. I am hoping if they move that they will move soon enough to put out a garden, for food is going to be scarce so the more they put away, the less they will have to buy.

Did you go fishing yet?

I gave up trying to catch any here. Anna Bell and Samuel said they were going fishing, but I never heard if they had any luck or not.

Write to me soon.
Love for all,

– – –

Mrs. Lee Barkley, of Cass, sends the following from her son, Clifford, serving in the armed forces overseas:


Softly as a blanket spread, the ocean lies deep and still; symbolic of God’s loving care o’er every vale and hill.

The sharks beneath us silently wait the coming dash and slash of wave; with strength renewed by waiting long, a greater yield doth bring.

Often, as we pass beneath the risen sun and stars, we fail to understand the need of rest and peace to make us whole again.
And how God guides His own and gives to them much more than sun and rain.

For those who trust the Lord shall blossom as the rose in spring.

Love to you, mother and dad.

Your loving son,


Capt. and Mrs. J. Hunter McClintic are spending the week at the McClintic Farms on Swago.

Mrs. Richard F. Currence and daughters, Louise, Jarvis and Sarah Alice, are with Mrs. Henry Snyder, at Sistersville, this week.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee S. Barlow and little daughters, Marolyn and Carolyn, were at Roanoke and Natural Bridge, Virginia, last week.

Deacon St. James Cashwell filled his former seat in church. He has been living in Washington, D.C. for the past five years. His sister, Mrs. Sarah Loving, also of Washington, is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Goleen Walker.

Mrs. Nadine B. Morris returned to Huntington Saturday. Being a gospel singer, she is scheduled to be at Roanoke July 8th.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Wheeler and Mrs. Amanda Rose were dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. Wil Boggs.

Mr. and Mrs. Moffett Williams of Marlinton, announce the birth of a son, John Richard, on Monday, July 2, 1945… The mother is the former Miss Frances Miller.


The Boys Summer Camp Minnehaha is now well underway with an enrollment of about 150 boys. This is the second year and things are working out well in spite of the handicap of losing the big hotel building and equipment by fire last winter. New buildings were gotten together in time for the opening.

The Declaration of Independence

Thomas Jefferson, who spent 18 days writing the Declaration of Independence, was only 23 years old. Franklin was 71.
The declaration had been signed five days before George Washington informed the citizens of New York City that it had been signed.

The original Declaration of Independence was signed only by John Hancock and Charles Thompson. It was an engrossed copy that was signed by Hancock and the 55 other men. The Liberty Bell did not begin to ring until July 8, four days later.

The first public reading of the Declaration of Independence was by John Nixon, July 8, at noon, in the state house yard of Philadelphia.

The first copy was published by the Pennsylvania Evening Post July 6; the engrossed copy, now displayed as the original, was not signed until August 2, 1776. Two of Jefferson’s original provisions were rejected before the Declaration was adopted.

more recommended stories