Subscribe Today

Seventy-Five Years Ago

Thursday, August 10, 1944

Our Army and Navy Boys

Mrs. M. F. Jeffries, of Marlinton, received word by telegraph, on August 4, that her son, Private Fred R. Jeffries, had been slightly wounded in action in Italy on July 23. Mrs. Jeffries has two other sons in the Army. Ira is a prisoner of war in Japan, and William Marvin is in New Guinea.

Lieutenant Evelyn Menefee, of the Army Nurse Corps, stationed at Camp Pickett, Virginia, was called home on the death of her father, H. J. Menefee.

Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Sharp have learned that their son, Sergeant James Robert Sharp, has landed safely somewhere in India. He is well, getting along O.K. and has visited Bombay.

Corporal Earl M. Sharp, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Sharp, of Marlinton, now stationed at North Camp Polk, Louisiana, has been awarded the Good Conduct Medal “for exemplary behavior, efficiency and fidelity.” He is in the Infantry and has been in the service since March 1943.

Leo Wade, who has been in Pearl Harbor for 19 months, is home on a 30-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Wade, at Seebert. He is rated a first class mechanic in the ship yard, and has been transferred from Pearl Harbor to Portsmouth, Virginia.


On last Saturday, Dan Carpenter killed the big old sheep eating bear which has been raiding the sheep flocks on Williams River all spring and summer. He got the bear on Mt. Lick Run. This was a big old bear in good condition. He dressed out about 300 pounds. Dan has been carrying his gun for this bear for several months.

– – –

The other day, Mrs. Elmer Sharp came upon a big snake while picking berries. It proved to be a blowing viper, more than four feet long and big. This is a harmless snake, if a creature which will scare you to death can be considered harmless. You know about the blowing viper, when he opens his mouth to strike, he cannot close it again until he falls down dead, to get over his fit of anger. This has been true of blowing vipers, according to the older colored people, ever since the one came out of the fire on the Island of Malta and fastened to the hand of the good Saint Paul.

– – –

Stanley and Carl Wooddell, of Big Springs of Elk, killed a big blacksnake some weeks since. In the snake were four little wild turkeys and a grouse chick…

– – –

Speaking about blacksnakes, some weeks ago, G. M. Sharp, on Knapps Creek, found a chicken hawk of medium size all sprawled out in a field near the house, but showing signs of life. Looking more closely, Mr. Sharp was surprised to find a chunk of a black snake all wrapped around that hawk, squeezing the very life out of him. On more than one occasion, I have seen hawks flying away with big black snakes, but this is the only case in my record of where the snake got the drop on the hawk.

Lobelia Farm Women

Friday, July 7th, was the occasion for an all day meeting of the Lobelia Farm Women’s Club, which was held at the Odd Fellow Hall. Mrs. LaRose held a canning demonstration and a spoilage clinic. At the noon hour a bountiful picnic lunch was served by the members.

In the afternoon, our July Club meeting was held with sixteen members, Mrs. LaRose and two visitors present.

Our lesson was led by Mrs. Milton Vaughan, “Fight food wastes in the Kitchen.” Mrs. Ryder and Mrs. Morrison put on a playlet of war time shopping, illustrating good and bad ways in preventing wastes. A collection was taken to aid the Chinese relief fund.

Our next meeting will be with Mrs. C. C. Cutlip, August 11th, at 8:00 p.m.

Callison – Beard

Miss Virginia Lee Beard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joel P. Beard, of Hillsboro, became the bride of Hubert Samuel Callison, son of Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Callison, of Beard, in a ceremony performed on Tuesday afternoon, August 1, 1944, at the Oak Grove Presbyterian Church, Hillsboro.

Oscar – Simmons

On Saturday, August 5, 1944, Miss Emily Mae Simmons, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Simmons, of Marlinton, became the bride of William Alex Oscar, of Buckeye. Mr. Oscar recently received an honorable discharge from the army.

Lovelace – Tidd

At the Presbyterian Manse, Friday night, August 4, 1944, Lloyd Orin Lovelace and Miss Nellie Grey Tidd were united in marriage by Rev. James C. Wool, pastor of the Marlinton Presbyterian Church.


Born to Mr. and Mrs. Darrel Hansford, a son, named Dennie Lee.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. George Clendenen, of Hillsboro, a daughter, named Carolyn Sue. Born to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Lovelace, a son, named Stanley Nathan.


Uriah H. Kramer, of Marlinton, aged about 66 years, died on Sunday, August 6, 1944… On Tuesday afternoon, his body was laid to rest in the Split Rock Cemetery on Elk.

The deceased was a son of the late Philip and Ann Malcomb Kramer.

Mrs. Mollie Hogsett Ruckman, aged 81 years, widow of the late Mathews Ruckman, died at her home near Millpoint on Tuesday morning, August 8, 1944. She was a daughter of the late Thomas and Mattie Slaven Hogsett… She is survived by her two children, F. W. Ruckman and Mrs. Madge McClure, and three grandchildren, Katherine McClure, Alice Ruckman and Wilmer Ruckman, now serving overseas with the U. S. Armed Forces.

Herman J. Menefee, aged 62 years, of near Marlinton, died on Friday, August 4, 1944… He married Miss Eva Margaret Shinaberry. She and their seven children survive: Hunter, Gertrude, Paul, Starling, Evelyn, Price and Jim.

more recommended stories