The Pocahontas County High School Lady Warriors soccer team won and tied on the road last week, getting its 2019 season off to a strong start.
The team won a scrimmage game vs Shady Spring August 19. The score was 13-1. All Lady Warriors played in the scrimmage and most either scored or assisted.
The Lady Warriors then played their season-opener at Oak Hill August 23.
• At half-time the Lady Warriors were ahead 2-1. Oak Hill scored the only goal in the second half for a final score of 2-2, ending the game in a tie.
• Scorers were seniors Alexa Taylor from the outside right wing and Laila Calhoun from center forward. Assists on these goals were from seniors Cloey Sharp on a cross from left wing and Kira Bircher on a pass from defensive backfield.
• Additional shots on goal were from forwards and midfielders, seniors K. Bircher, junior Savannah McMillion and sophomore Mackenna McKenney.
• Defenders and midfielders, led by sophomore Macaden Taylor and seniors Elizabeth Hefner, Sage McLaughlin, Emily Casto, Amelia Rose and K. Bircher, and junior S. McMillion, cleared the ball out of the backfield 54 times.
• Goalkeeper junior Sienna Bircher saved 10 goals of Oak Hill’s 12 shots on goal, and allowed 2.
The Lady Warriors begin the season with a record of 0 wins, 1 tie, and 0 losses.
Games this week are: PCHS vs. Nicholas Co. Tuesday, August 27, 5 p.m.; PCHS vs. Elkins Thursday, August 29, 5 p.m.; and Saturday, August 31, 11 a.m. at Bluefield.
Please see wvssac.org for a complete schedule.