Subscribe Today

100 Years Ago

Thursday, April 22, 1920

It may be that each year brings less summer cheer, and that is to be expected, but we declare that the winter that we are just emerging from was the most dreadful in the memory of man. Certainly no one can remember when the sap in the sugar trees was so long in showing above the ground. And it was April before a single bud showed on the trees at this place. About the first of April the buds appeared on the lilac bushes and a solitary slippery elm was brown all over with a sort of a bloom. Then winter shut down again and snow and rain and sleet made it look like February. For a time, there came a snow every night and in the day there was a north wind to contend with. They called it the Easter storm but it was more than that, it was a Northeaster. Others said it was the old cow storm. The particularly trying expensive experience that the stockmen are used to, in bringing the old hay burner through to grass and having her kick the bucket just as grass is in sight. The farmer does a lot of mental arithmetic figuring out how much hay he would have saved by knocking the old cow in the head last fall…


Tuesday evening, the passenger train was derailed at the curve just above Clawson, the engine and baggage car landing in the river upside down and the forward passenger coach derailed and lodged against a telephone pole. The accident was caused by an immense stone, weighing tons, slipping from the hillside, pushing the track over. The engine did not strike the stone. The half light of the evening prevented the engineer from seeing the trouble ahead as soon as might have been possible in daylight, or even at night when the headlight throws more light.

Engineer Perkins rode his engine over the bank, after applying the brakes and reversing his engine. He then jumped and escaped being crushed under the toppling baggage car by leaping into the river and swimming. He escaped injury.

Messenger William Stone was most severely injured by being caught under a heavy trunk and crushed about the chest. The imprint of the crossbars of the trunk were plainly discernable on his chest. He suffered other severe bruises and sprains, but made little of it and was able to walk. There were no other accidents, except one passenger, Joseph Gilliam, a traveling man, who was somewhat shaken up and complained of his back. In moving him on an improvised stretcher, he rolled off the seat cushion and got shook up some more.

Dr. Hannah, of Cass, was on the train and rendered first aid. At first it was thought that there were injured under the wreck and a general alarm went out for assistance. Three doctors from Marlinton responded, and one more from Cass, but fortunately their services were little needed, which is remarkable as the train was crowded. The two injured were brought to the hospital at Marlinton, the Tannery switch engine and box car being sent from Marlinton for the purpose.


Eighteen boys and girls belonging to the Victory Thrift Club of the Hun-tersville public school saved $25.58 in March, according to a report from Mrs. G. M. Sharp, secretary of the club. The society is taking an active part in the thrift campaign conducted by the government. Money saved has been invested in Thrift and War Savings Stamps.


A felony case was transferred by the Raleigh court to the Circuit Court of Pocahontas County last week. It is one of the cases growing out of the firing at miners coming out of a mine some years ago. The case is set for trial at the June Term, beginning on the 3rd day of June. A number of local counsel have been employed to assist in the trial. To assist in the prosecution, N. C. McNeil, J. E. Buckley and Andrew Price. For the defense, L. M. McClintic and F. R. Hill.


Born to Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Howard, of Stark, a daughter.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Dameron, of Spice, a son.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Alva Jackson, of Deer Creek, a daughter.


J. A. McClure died at his home on Greenbrier River below the tunnel on Monday night. A few days before he had suffered a stroke of paralysis. His age was about 70 years. Mr. McClure was a prominent citizen of his county and community, being extensively engaged in farming and storekeeping. He is survived by his wife. In religion, Mr. McClure was a member of the Presbyterian church and was a Ruling Elder of the Laurel Hill church. He was greatly interested and took a leading part in establishing and building this church and expected to represent the congregation at the meeting of Presbytery held in Marlinton this week.

– – –

Mrs. Martha Adkison, of Mount Clare, Harrison County, died April 12 at the age of 84 years.

She was a sister of George W. McKeever, of Buckeye. The late Clayborne and Johnathan McNeil were half brothers, as is the Rev. Moore McNeil… Her husband was the late Horace T. Adkison, son of Daniel Adkison, and they were married in 1844… Her husband was in his 87th year when he died three and a half years ago, and they retained splendid health until within a few days before death called them.

more recommended stories