Seventy-Five Years Ago

Thursday, August 2, 1945

No whistles were blowing nor bands playing and no photo bulbs popping when a bedraggled group of creaking landing craft rattled into one of our Pacific Harbors recently, yet it marked one of the epic sea voyages of all times. A struggle across more than 4,000 miles of hungry sea by cramped little LCTs that spent 42 days and nights at sea under their own power.

According to the book, LCT is not yet a seagoing vessel, square nosed and flat bottomed and only 114 feet long, they were designed for the rough but short range job of shuttling into hostile beaches with troops and equipment from large transports and landing ships. Their designed range is 500 miles at most.

But the LCT skipper threw the book overboard when they started on this pioneering journey. There wasn’t enough room for the book. Sardined aboard each barge was a crew of twelve men and two officers and the cargo they carried which was a LCM that was almost as big as the LCT itself. With the extra food they had to carry, there was precious little room for extra water and the comforts of home. Fresh food and supplies were sufficient for only three days out from port, from then it was spam, beans and pancakes.

“We came in on beans and pancakes,” said Lt. Commander Dilley, of Milwaukee, “But the most important thing is that we came in, and all together. We averaged about six knots for the trip, four knots by our own power and two knots supplied by wind and sea…”

Every one of the sturdy little craft developed engine trouble and sprang leaks at sometime or other during the prolonged drive, but all managed to patch up and improvise repairs while still underway.

Trying to keep the unwieldy craft afloat and in formation in the rough tossing seas kept officers and crew busy most of the the 24 hours of the day. There’s a poem popular among the “Elsie” men that typifies the difficulty in handling the LTC. It goes:

“Poems are made by folks like me,

But only God can steer a LCT….” – Baltimore Tribune

Our Army and Navy Boys

Private First Class Ronald L. Small is spending a thirty-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Small, of Beard. Private First Class Small has been in service for fifteen months and has spent nine months in the European Theater. He wears two battle stars on his campaign ribbon. He was wounded in the right arm.

William Perry, of the Navy, is home on leave with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Perry, of Dunmore. He has seen a lot of battle service in the Pacific, and he carries a bunch of battle stars. His ship is the aircraft carrier, Windham Bay.

James McGraw, Charles Edward McElwee, H. M. Warren, Jr., and Ralph Coberly are home from the Army on 30-day furloughs. They are just back from the European front.

Lyle D. Fertig, S 1-c, of the Navy, is home on leave with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Fertig, at Frost. He has been in service 16 months, with 13 months served abroad in active duty in the Pacific Theatre.

“Buck” Shearer, son of J. W. Shearer, is home from the Army on a 30-day furlough with his wife and baby. He has been in the Army nearly two years, with six months’ service in Europe before the surrender.

William Harper is home from the Army on furlough. He is just back from Europe.


Applicants for replacement of War Ration Books, which have been mutilated, lost or stolen, will, in the future, be required to wait 60 days after making application before the local War Price and Rationing Board can issue replacements, E. H. Wade, chairman of the board said.

This has been made necessary by the heavy increase in the number of replacement applications in recent weeks…

Unfortunately, a number of people have gained the mistaken impression that ration books can immediately be replaced. On the contrary, every local War Price and Rationing Board is required by the regulations to use great care in the replacement of ration books. This is necessary in order to protect the supplies of rationed goods which may be purchased with ration stamps. It is plainly evident that any appreciable increase in the number of ration stamps outstanding would result in depriving some people of their fair share of rationed goods. Ration book holders are expected to take every reasonable precaution to protect their books…


On Sunday afternoon, July 29, 1945, at the Presbyterian Manse in Marlinton, Earl W. Slavin and Miss Mildred Frances Jones were united in marriage. Rev. James C. Wool, D. D., was the officiating minister.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Jones, of Seebert. The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Slavin, of Marlinton. He is a veteran of the Second World War, with an honorable discharge after a long, hard and faithful service.


Born to Mr. and Mrs. Grady C. Phillips, of Covington, Virginia, a son, named Kenneth Cecil.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. William Stewart, of Marlinton, a daughter named Suzanne.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Rhodes, a daughter.


I want to buy one good coon dog and one good rabbit dog. Write to me.

210 Erie St.
Camden N. J.

more recommended stories