Seventy-Five Years Ago

February 3, 1944

W. I. Underwood, of Beaver Creek, was over in Buckley Mountain the other day, and heard the unearthly racket of a wild cat squalling and crows calling. A big bunch of crows had a wild cat up a tree and were giving him a good fleecing. Mr. Underwood said he had never before heard a wild cat squall in the day time. Crows were coming into the fight from all directions.

Our Army and Navy Boys

Odie Clarkson, of the Sea Bees, stationed at Camp Perry, Virginia, is at home on furlough this week with his wife and little son, Billy.

James Ralph Kellison, S 2-c, of the United States Navy, has returned to his base at San Pedro, California, after spending several days with his mother, Mrs. O. W. Kellison, of Buckeye.

Word has been received that P. F. C. Densel C. Williams, of Lobelia, has been transferred overseas and has safely reached his destination.

P. F. C. Cecil R. Westfall has landed safely somewhere in England.

Corporal W. H. Dahmer, of Franklin, now stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia, was the guest of friends in Marlinton last week.

Loy E. Sharp, son of Elmer Sharp, of Jerico Road, and Clyde Rose, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sandy C. Rose, of Campbelltown, have arrived at the United States Naval Training Station at Great Lakes, Illinois.

Junior Simmons is proudly wearing an American Army helmet sent to him by his big brother, Sergeant Houston E. Simmons, who is stationed at Fort Custer, Michigan.

Sergeant W. A. Gallaher, who is stationed at Fort Fisher, North Carolina, spent a short furlough with his wife and little daughter, Virginia Lee.

Mr. and Mrs. Clete Kelley, of Huntersville, have received word that their son, Corporal Glen Kelly, has arrived safely in England.


Mrs. W. N. Thomas sends in this letter from her son, French, who is now in Great Britain.

December 10, 1943

Dear Mother and all:

Just a few lines this morning to say I am O. K. I have not heard from you for a few days but hope all of you are well.

I had a birthday card from Mildred yesterday; also a letter from Roscoe. He is still working in the shipyard and said he was getting along fine. He did not pass the army examination.

I was on a nice trip yesterday. Went to see Shakespeare’s home at Stratford on the Avon. We had a very nice time. We saw Mary Arden’s home, Shakespeare’s Memorial Theatre, the church he went to, Ann Hathaway Cottage, Warwick Castle and a lot of other very interesting things. They had a reception at one of these towns yesterday. The Mayor and Mayoress and a few other civilians, met us and took us to a restaurant and we had beer and a very good lunch. They sure did treat us nice. Then they did the same thing at this other town at supper. We had a very enjoyable day.

It sure is damp and cold over here. The most of us have taken colds and suppose we will have them until summer.

Suppose you have had snow by now. We have not had any here yet. Mildred said Robbie was in Africa, was in hopes he would be here somewhere and I could look him up.

Love to all,


McElwee – Williams

Lieutenant Alfred McElwee and Miss Margaret Williams, of Grenada, Mississippi, were married Saturday, January 29, 1944. Lieutenant McElwee is a son of Mr. and Mrs. June McElwee, of Marlinton. He is in the Engineers.

Walker- Loving

On Saturday evening, January 22, 1944, at eight o’clock at the home of Mrs. Susie Walker, George Henry Walker and Miss Gelean Pearl Loving were united in marriage; Rev. I. H. Goodwyn officiating minister.

Among those present were the bride’s mother, Mrs. Sarah Loving, the groom’s mother, Mrs. Susie Walker, Mr. and Mrs. Forest McChesney, Virginia Walker, Ernest Cashwell and Mrs. William Toliver. A wedding dinner was served.


Rev. and Mrs. Elwood “Penrod” Clower, of Chesterfield, South Carolina, announce the birth of a baby girl. Mrs. Clower is the former Miss Carolyn Edgar, daughter of Mrs. Allan P. Edgar, of Marlintoin.


John Galford, aged 83, of Laurel Creek, died Monday morning January 31, 1944.

His body was laid to rest in the Cochran cemetery on Stony Creek.

The deceased was a son of the late Thomas Galford. His surviving brother is Brown Galford. He is also survived by a large family of sons and daughters.

Sherman Clark Kincaid, aged 84 years, 11 months, and 18 days, died at his home on Douthards Creek Saturday, January 1, 1944 after a short illness.

The deceased was a son of the late Samuel Clark and Barbara Ann Wagoner Kincaid, of Virginia. On October 10, 1892, he was united in marriage to Barbara Ella Cutlip, who preceded him to the grave one year ago.

He was laid to rest in the Curry cemetery in Huntersville.

more recommended stories