Subscribe Today

Seventy-Five Years Ago

Thursday, September 14, 1944

Our Army and Navy Boys

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Carpenter have received word from the War Department that their son, P. F. C. Clarence Carpenter, Jr., had been wounded while in action in France on August 11. He is now in England in a hospital.

George Price Adkison, of the United States Navy, writes to his mother, Mrs. Harper Adkison, that he has had a long shore leave in England; that he has seen much of the country, that it is truly beautiful, but give to him his Greenbrier Valley every time.

P. F. C. John W. Cashwell, who is stationed in Louisiana, is home on furlough.

P. F. C. James Cashwell, formerly of Marlinton, is enjoying a well earned furlough at his home in Washington, D. C., after nearly two years’ service in the South Pacific.

Sergeant A. Lincoln Harris, formerly of Marlinton, writes that all is well with him in India. A brother, Scott, is with the armed forces in Italy.

Staff Sergeant John Hayden Tibbs writes that he is just a “jump ahead” of us as he has already received his ballot for the coming election.

Clyde Anderson, of the Army, stationed in California, spent a week’s furlough here with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Emery Anderson. He will report this week at a station in Utah.

Home on a thirty day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Dean, of Watoga, was Corporal Raymond Dean. He is in the Air Corps and is just back from the South Pacific. He has seen three years of service.

Corporal Argile C. Arbogast, stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, is spending his furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Arbogast, at Millpoint.


That there painter cat is back again on Laurel Creek and Williams River. One Sunday night a few weeks back, W. O. Riddle met up with it along the road below the Mason farm at the John Ad Run. He saw its eyes shining and could make out its form in the pale light of a half moon. The big cat was loath to get out of the way, and the man had nothing to defend himself with but a pocket knife. The next morning, several men noted the animal’s tracks in the dust beside the road.

Just last week, the body of a chunk of a deer was found on the abandoned railway grade on Little Laurel Creek. It had been killed and partly eaten by some big varmint.

A lady of the Laurel Creek neighborhood reports seeing a panther on two occasions in the past month. In color, it was a muddy yellow.

– – –

No frost at Marlinton as yet, but killing frosts are reported at the edge of the river fog line, with temperatures around and below freezing. On the higher ground in the “frostless” belt, it has been warmer than on the river. Sunday afternoon a “sun dog” was observed. This is a false sun. They say it is caused by sun rays reflected on ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. It is a cold weather sign.

– – –

French Johnson caught a mud cat fish a yard long in the Greenbrier somewhere below Marlinton. The weight was 24 pounds. Its mouth was eight inches across.

– – –

Down in the Kee Eddy, in the Greenbrier below Marlinton, big fish have been breaking lines and tackle generally. Jesse McNeill lost two lines. Some said it was big bass; others big pike. Then Dale Adkison came by and took out a five pound blue cat on a four ounce fly rod, so now they figure it is some able blue cats which have been taking hold and breaking things up.

– – –

Dink Moses, aged 12 years, caught one big pike in the Greenbrier below Marlinton, one night last week. He was using a plug for the first time. The weight was eight pounds, and it was 28 inches long.


George Bambrick, aged about 80 years, died at his home in the Hills, near Frost, September 6, 1944. His body was buried in Mt. Vernon cemetery.

The deceased was a native of Nova Scotia. He came here about sixty-six years ago to work in the white pine.

He married Miss Mattie Grimes who preceded him some years since. Their sons are Roy and Guy and their daughter is Hattie.

– – –

Griffie Amos Sheets, aged 63 years, died at his home near Cass Tuesday night, September 5, 1944… On Thursday afternoon his body was laid to rest in the Arbovale cemetery…

The deceased was a son of the late George Sheets, his mother’s name was Ratliff…

Mr. Sheets married Miss Bertie Galford, who survives. Their surviving sons are Ollie and Winfred, at home; Wilburn in the Navy and Arnold in the Army; their daughters are June, at home; Mrs. Mary Varner, of Cass, and Miss Nellie Arbogast, of Boyer.

– – –

William A. Hefner, aged 69 years, died Saturday evening, September 8, 1944… On Monday afternoon, his body was laid to rest in the Cochran Cemetery on Stony Creek…

The deceased was a son of the late L. A. and Naomi Galford Hefner. He is survived by his brothers, Edgar and John, and his sisters, Mrs. Nancy Gilmore and Mrs. Ella Puffenbarger.

– – –

Mrs. Elizabeth Ellen Walton, aged 64 years, wife of N. E. Walton, who for many years has been a prominent merchant at Lobelia, died Saturday night, September 2, 1944, at their home at Lobelia… Burial in Emanuel cemetery on Bruffey’s Creek.

Mrs. Walton was a daughter of the late John L. and Rebecca Snedegar. She and Mr. Walton were married May 29, 1907.

She is survived by her husband, two sons and one daughter. The children are Augustus H. Walton, Lodge H. Walton, and Miss Helen Walton, all of Lobelia.

more recommended stories