The Pocahontas County Horse show at Hillsboro, the Pocahontas Cattle Association cattle show and the Farm Products exhibit paved the way for the first County Fair in October 1919, which was staged on Lower Camden (now Second) Avenue where a large grandstand and fenced grounds hosted more than 30 horse entries, a cattle show and sheep show.
In December 1921 a stock company was formed – Pocahontas County Fair Company – with capital stock of $25,000, with no person owning more that $100 in stock. The Board of Directors elected S. B. Wallace as the first president and purchased the Levi Gay homestead on the west side of the Greenbrier River above Stony Creek.
In 1922 the Fourth Annual Pocahontas County Fair opened on its own grounds with a grandstand that could seat nearly 2,000, and one-half mile of oval track, 40 feet broad and unequaled in the state. The following observation of that fair appeared in The Pocahontas Times: “The art of the speakers, the charm of the natural surroundings, the occasion of the meeting, the point to which God has brought us on our way, all combine to plumb the heart to deep and unknown depths, and it was good to be there.” And such was the sentiment until the fair closed in 1957. Preserving Pocahontas, Pearl Carter Collection, ID: PHP001677
Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preservingpocahontas.org If you have historical records or photographs to be scanned for the county Historical Archive contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email email@example.com Prints of photographs are available.