Cars are parked with precision around the track at the Pocahontas County Fair near Marlinton in 1925. The grandstand can be seen just right of center in this photograph taken by Cal Gay and dated August 17-21, 1925. The first fair was held in October 1919 on Lower Camden (Second) Avenue in Marlinton. The Pocahontas County Fair Company was formed in 1921 and the Levi Gay homestead was purchased for $12,000. This farm included 67 acres in bottom land on the west side of the Greenbrier River above Stony Creek just 1 1/2 miles north of the bridge in Marlinton. A grandstand was built that could seat nearly 2,000 and a one-half mile track, 40 feet broad, was laid out in an oval, that did not have its equal in the state. In 1922, the 4th annual Pocahontas County Fair was held on its own grounds where it delighted young and old alike until 1957 when the decision was made to discontinue the event and dispose of the land. The West Virginia State Sheep Show, long held at the Pocahontas County Fair, was moved to the West Virginia State Fair near Lewisburg. (Pearl Carter Ward Collection; ID: PHP001677)
Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at http://pocahontaspreservation.org/omeka/ Visit our website at PreservingPocahontas.org
If you have photographs or documents to be scanned for the county Historical Archive contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Prints of photographs are available.