[caption id="attachment_14649" align="aligncenter" width="600"]<a href="http:\/\/pocahontastimes.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/25\/2017\/01\/Pres.-Poca.jpg"><img class="size-full wp-image-14649" src="http:\/\/pocahontastimes.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/25\/2017\/01\/Pres.-Poca.jpg" alt="Camp Thornwood \u2013 Winter 1935 " width="600" height="410" \/><\/a> Camp Thornwood \u2013 Winter 1935[\/caption]\r\n\r\nAn aerial photograph of Camp Thornwood taken in the winter of 1935. This Civilian Conservation Corps Camp was established in May 1933 on the East Fork of the Greenbrier River at the mouth of Fivemile Hollow near Bartow. The project was supervised by the U. S. Forest Service. Superintendents were George Fry and Peter J. Hanlon. This camp closed in 1941 - 42. In 1943 the War Department gave the CCC Camp to Pocahontas County 4-Hers. The name was changed to Camp Pocahontas and the first County Camp was held there in 1944. In 1963 the camp was selected as the site for the first National Youth Science Camp. Throughout the years conservation clubs, church groups and others have used the camp. County 4-H Camp and National Youth Science Camp are still held there today. Courtesy of Laura Defibaugh McLaughlin, ID: PHP000971\r\n\r\nAccess the \u201cPreserving Pocahontas\u201d Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preservingpocahontas.org If you have historical records or photographs to be scanned for the county Historical Archive contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Prints of photographs are available.