The Dunmore Grade School was built in the early part of 1900 on land given for the two-room school by Mr. Harry Moore. The first hot lunches were prepared in a building across the road. In 1939 the Board of Education closed the Pleasant Hill School (northeast of Marlinton) and moved that building to Dunmore for use as a kitchen and lunch room.
Teachers through the years included: Georgia Curry, Mr. Hull, Verdie Mann, A. B. Hoke, Elva Wilson, Isabel Pritchard, Mack Brooks, Bonnie Brooks, Clark McCutcheon, Grace Arbogast, Kermit Arbogast, Lucille Moomau, Bertie Beard, Mamie White, Opal Cottle, Lolla Gray Grimes, Edmonia Gibson, Glen Tracy, Jean Pritchard, Lynn Kerr, Helen Buckley, Rosalie Minger, Mrs. Harold Mosser, Macel Harris, Fannie Kane and Blanche Patterson.
The Dunmore Grade School was closed in 1960 and the property was bought by a community organization. It is now the home of the Dunmore Community Center and continues to serve the community as it has for more than 100 years. Photo Courtesy of Stephen McNalley, ID: PHP000549
Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at http://www.pocahontaspreservation.org or http://www.preservingpocahontas.org If you have photographs or documents to be scanned for the county Historical Archive Project contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Prints of photographs from the archives are available.