Q. Name the places in Pocahontas County where Robert E. Lee had temporary headquarters in 1861.
A. Huntersville, Marlins Bottom, Linwood
Q. What church was used as barracks by Union troops and a hospital by Confederates?
A. Huntersville Presbyterian Church
Historical Sketches of Pocahontas County – 1901
By William T. Price
Distinctive Natural Features
Some four or five years since, two ministers had occasion to travel over the Drooping Mountain at an early hour. This mountain overlooks much of southern Pocahontas and northern Greenbrier, commanding an entrancing view of Hillsboro and its charming rural surroundings of groves, fields and orchards. It was very misty on the morning referred to, and as the ministerial equestrians passed from Hillsboro their view was shut off on every side by the dense vapory barriers.
They slowly ascended the broad but devious road up the mountain side toward the summit.
Upon reaching the crest of the mountain the sun was seen some hours high in all its glorious power and light.
If the Psalmist had been there, he would have spoken of the sun as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber and rejoicing as a strong man ready to roll away the mists that were over the hills, the vales and streams, keeping them from view.
We paused at the point most favorable for our outlook, and time was spent contemplating the scene, feeling that we knew of no words that would, at that moment, fitly express our emotions.
In the meantime a radiant power more than ninety million miles away had come and was working miracles all about us.
The vast surface of the lake-like cloud beneath our feet began to rise and roll like the waves of a miniature ocean, and the sunbeams beautified all these white waves. They seemed to gather themselves into Delectable Hills, and from their radiant tops, spires of vapors enchanting with nameless beauties reached upward toward the sun. And as one would tower above others near, it seemed to draw them along with itself till all had vanished in upward view-less flight.
Drops of dissolving mist were on the leaves. Like pearls, they hung the bushes with brilliance, and shone like diamonds on the grass.
Had that morning been without cloudy mists, the morning scene would have been divested of more than half of its unspeakable beauties and suggestive lessons.
Such a scene as was witnessed by those ministerial friends on Drooping Mountain was well fitted to remind them, and all others who pause, and think upon like morning scenes amid our mountain, of the fact that it was when alone upon a mountain that Elijah saw the glory of the Lord. It was when alone upon the mountain “the Lord spoke unto Moses as a man speaketh unto his friend.” Then and there Moses received the promise of final rest…
When the mind is in a devotional receptive mood, there is something very congenial between the mountain tops and prayer and spiritual glory…
The Clendennin name has been familiar as a household word to our people for more than a hundred years.
They are the descendants of Archibald Clendennin, who was one of the pioneers of Greenbrier county, and lived in the Big Levels, not far from Lewisburg. The place has been long known as the Ballard Smith homestead.
Charles Clendennin was slain by the Indians in 1763 and was survived by two sons, George and Charles.
In regard to George Clendennin, we have nothing authentic.
Charles Clendennin was one of the pioneers of Kanawha county, and the city of Charleston is named for him.
William Clendennin, a son of Charles, married Sallie Cochran, daughter of John Cochran, and settled on the Burgess place, near Hillsboro, now occupied by John Payne. This occurred about 1780.
Their sons were William and John; their daughter, Catherine, became Mrs. Jacob Kennison…
William Clendennin was apprenticed to Bayliss G. Rapp, at Frankford, for seven years, seven months and seven days. Upon his marriage to Jane Cochran, he settled at the Casebolt mill and finally located on the Seybert Place at the mouth of Stamping Creek…