100 Years Ago

Thursday, September 6, 1917

A large crowd gathered at the train yesterday afternoon to send off our soldier boys, Coe Adkison and Carl Bruffey, to Camp Lee at Petersburg. This evening Larry Byers and Charles Clendennin go. On Friday, Cleo B. McKeever and Charles Hite, and on Sunday evening, Graham LaRue and Ralph Yeager. A dispatch from Petersburg says the West Virginians are being assigned to the field artillery. Drilling will commence on Friday.

– – –

Several West Virginia veterans are making arrangements to attend the great reunion of the Blue and Gray Veterans, to be held at Vicksburg, Miss., October 16 – 19. Capt. J. R. Mehen, of Parkersburg, and W. H. Glover, of Terra Alta, are making the arrangements, the Legislature having made an appropriation for the purpose.

– – –

T. Lee Powers, scaler for the Moore Lumber Company at Mountain Grove, tells us that while he was scaling after a cutting crew in the company’s woods on Back Creek, he heard the warning of a rattlesnake, and upon looking they killed nine big rattlers and three copperheads all in a drove or school or whatever you would call a congregation of copperheads and rattlesnakes.

– – –

Judge Dayton and party returned to his home from a long visit to the club at Minnehaha Springs. He is very fond of this county, and says that he is going to build a summer home at Minnehaha. He thinks that West Virginia is just in the beginning of its industrial development. He says that the United States is the best country in the world and that West Virginia is the richest part of the United States.

– – –

One of the best novels about logs and logging that we have ever read is the story called “The Source,” by C. B. Kelland. It is written by a Michigan man who evidently is well informed about the woods.

– – –

The Federal child labor law, passed a year ago, went into effect on the 1st day of this month. It makes it an offense to employ in any mine or quarry engaged in interstate commerce any person under the age of sixteen. In factories and so forth producing articles for interstate commerce, children may be employed in the daylight hours above the age of fourteen not more than eight hours a day. Already one United States Court judge has held the law to be unconstitutional.

– – –

Hog and hominy was the old standby in this country. This winter is to see a Renaissance of the art of cooking Indian corn. We are not so sure about the hog part, but we hope that there will be at least some part of the hog that will be in reach of us all. We would all do better if we consumed about a third of the meat that we consider necessary to our pride and comfort.

The old Irishman came to this country and got a good job with pick and shovel and wrote home to induce some of his relatives to come. His boss was writing at his dictation. “Say to them,” he dictated, “that I get meat to eat three times a week.”

“But that is not so,” the boss exclaimed. “You get meat to eat three times a day.”

“I know I do,” said the old man, “But I want to tell them something that they will believe…”

– – –

“Go forth and conquer, Strephon mine,
This kiss upon your lips retaining
A precept that is also thine
Forbids the teardrop hot and straining.
We’re Mars and Venus, you and I,
And both must ‘keep our powder dry.”’


L. W. McClune, a son of William McClune, of Hillsboro, has been gone from home for eleven years and his family had given him up for dead. This week the county clerk received a letter from him for the purpose of establishing his age so that he could join the army. His home is in California. A telegram was sent and a prompt reply received saying that he would make a visit here this fall.


A large crowd attended the I.O.O.F. Picnic at this place Labor Day and everybody enjoyed the day. We were glad to have Crabbottom, Va., so well represented – about 300 people coming from that side of the mountain… There was a fine ballgame between Thornwood and Durbin – the score Thornwood 5 and Durbin 4.

There has been organized at Olive a new ball team by the name of the Climax Team. The first game was delayed with the Olive Tigers and so close was the game that a tie was declared.

A. J. Smith

The venerable A. J. Smith died at his home at Edray Friday night, August 31, 1917, after an illness of several months of infirmities incident to age. He was in his 78th year. Some months ago his wife preceded him to the grave. On Sunday morning he was buried at the Edray church in the presence of a large congregation. The service was conducted by Rev. Geo. P. Moore. Among his children are Mr. Samuel Moore, Mrs. L. J. Moore, Mrs. J. E. Barlow, Luther, Oliver and E. M. Smith.


The venerable Phillip Kramer died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. S. C. Galford, near Linwood, Monday, August 27, 1917, aged 74 years, 8 months and 18 days. His body was laid to rest in the Varner Graveyard after services at his late home by Rev. M. H. Ramsey. Surviving him are his daughters, Mrs. John Doyle, Mrs. Jacob Gibson and Mr. S. C. Galford, and his sons, Uriah H. and John Kramer…

At the outbreak of the war between the States he volunteered as a Confederate soldier and saw much service. In the Pennsylvania campaign he had his shoulder broken by being struck with a sabre.


Mrs. Harlan Gibson died at her home on Elk, September 1, 1917, after a long illness, aged about 28 years. On Monday, her remains were laid in the Gibson burying ground in the presence of a large congregation, the service being conducted by Rev. Geo. P. Moore. Mrs. Gibson was the daughter of the late Wm. Jordan, of Elk. She is survived by her husband and their two little children. Also by her mother, and her two brothers, Robert and Frank Jordan, and her sisters, Miss Lou Jordan of the Hinton High School, Mrs. E. M. Smith, of Edray, Miss Julia Jordan, of Lynchburg. Mrs. Gibson was a consistent christian in the pale of the Methodist church.

more recommended stories