Pocahontas Memorial Hospital staff, board members and friends celebrated a very special birthday October 22.
PMH CEO Barbara Lay welcomed everyone to the celebration before introducing Al Lawson.
Lawson was the CEO of the hospital at the time of the construction and opening of the current facility. Lawson shared his memories and commended the PMH family for the work they continue to do. Cake and punch were served and enjoyed by all.
Marlinton Hospital and Infirmary was first established by the County Court in 1906. Some 20 years later, it was renamed Pocahontas Memorial Hospital as a tribute to the men and women from Pocahontas County who served in the military.
After the devastating ’85 flood, serious discussion began about relocating the hospital from its downtown location. With hospital board, staff, and community support, work began to build a hospital on the hill above Marlinton. PMH employees forfeited money from their own paychecks to help build the new facility. In October 1995, the hospital opened its doors at its present location in Buckeye.
The difficulties of the last 100 years have certainly been great, and the future promises to only bring more challenges, but the one constant throughout the years has been the unwavering support of the community.
Now, as we mark 20 years in this location, Pocahontas Memorial Hospital wants to remember the vision and fortitude of all those who struggled and worked to build the new facility. It is hard to imagine what life might be like in this rural place without our county hospital.