January 21, 1965
Larry Whiting, formerly of Marlinton, a paratrooper, will appear on the Bob Hope Show this Friday night as a stand-in, or rather a jump-in, for one of the actors on the program. He is the second one who jumps. The title of the movie is “Exit From a Plane in Flight.” He is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Clive Alderman, of Huntersville.
State Road Maintenance Supervisor Guy Sharp tells us they have some new historical markers to erect in the County and some to replace. We will get an account of these. This week we are publishing the information contained on about a dozen original markers erected almost 30 years ago containing valuable information and history about our county. We would suggest that you clip these and save, then add the others later, for a guide to the county
Formed from Bath, Pendleton and Randolph in 1821, named for Pocahontas, Indian Princess, the friend of the Jamestown settlers. Site of Droop Mountain battle, November 6, 1863. The famous Cranberry Glades are here.
Blue and Gray
Near here was Camp Bartow, fortified by Confederates in 1861. At Greenbrier Bridge, an artillery duel was fought, October 3, 1861. Battle of Allegheny (8 miles East), was fought December 13, 1861, between armies of General W. L. Jackson and General R. L. Milroy.
Birthplace of Rivers
Here mountain waters divide into many rivers. Greenbrier, Gauley and Elk start south and west to the Kanawha; the Jackson east to the James; north goes the South Branch to the Potomac, and the Cheat and Tygart to the Monongahela.
Here, November 6, 1863, Union Troops commanded by General W. W. Averell, defeated Confederate forces under General John Echols. This has been considered the most extensive engagement in this State and the site was made a State Park in 1929.
Site of early settlement and fort of Thomas Drinnon. Scene of attacks by Indians in 1774 and 1778. To the East, on the land of Jacob Warwick, stood Fort Clover Lick, garrisoned during the Revolutionary war by Augusta County militia.
The Cranberry Glades are the naturalist’s paradise. In a great natural bowl in the mountains, 4,000 feet high is found a misplaced tract of arctic tundra in the southern mountains. Here is found reindeer moss and rare plants.
Here General W. W. Averell camped before the Battle of Droop Mountain and after his raid on Salem, Virginia, in 1863. Settlements were made in the vicinity in the 1760s by John McNeel and the Kinnisons. Birthplace of Pearl Buck.
Established in 1821. Early Trading Post here brought hunters and trappers and gave name to the town. In 1822, first county court met here at the home of John Bradshaw. General Lee was encamped here in 1861.
Lee’s Headquarters – Linwood
On this knoll, General Robert E. Lee maintained headquarters from July to September 1861, after taking command of the Confederate forces in West Virginia. His army on Valley Mountain guarded the road leading south in Virginia.
Settled, 1749, by Sewell and Marlin. The oldest recorded settlement on Western Waters. Here stood oak, marking corner of first survey west of Alleghenies. Here was Fort Greenbrier, built 1775, and garrisoned by Andrew Lewis.
The old Seneca Indian Trail from New York to Georgia may be seen at this point. During the French and Indian War, 18 settlers lost lives in the vicinity. During the Indian raids in 1779, 13 were killed and many were taken captive.
Here Stephen Sewell, pioneer settler, camped in 1750. This was the sight of Fort Day, 1774. To the north, James and John Bridger were killed in the Indian raids of 1778. Here James E. A. Gibbs invented the chain-stitch sewing machine.
In this mountain Gap, through which came early pioneers, General W. W. Loring camped 1861, with 10,000 Confederates. In July, General Robert E. Lee succeeded him. North and south is the mountain road which offers a remarkable skyline drive.
Made famous in novels of Hergesheimer, Bierce and others. This, the country of “Tol’able David.” On the hills are the Confederate trenches guarding their camp in 1861, near which several battles were fought.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. Dewey McLaughlin, of Marlinton, a daughter, named Patricia Ann.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. Richard Morton, of West Hyattsville, Maryland, a son, John Glenn. The mother is the former Phyllis Weatherolt, of Marlinton.
MRs. Gertrude Blanche Barnasky, 66, of Frank; a lifelong resident of Pocahontas County. Burial in the Arbovale Cemetery.
Paul John Freiseis, 57, of Dunmore; he had suffered a stroke several days before. Burial in the Dunmore Cemetery.
Everett Wilson McCoy, 52, of Droop; a former employee of the State Road Commission. Burial in the Whiting Cemetery.
William C. Wooddell, 85, of Mount Clemens, Michigan. Born in Pocahontas County, a son of the late James P. and Nancy Siples Wooddell. Burial in the St. Peter’s Catholic Cemetery.
Theodore A. Dunlap, 51, of South Charleston, burial in the Heavner Cemetery.
Funeral service for Mrs. Icie Fertig at the Frost Methodist Church; burial in the Mountain View Cemetery.