Thursday, October 23, 1913


Sixteen degrees above zero here Wednesday morning.

James Rose and C. E. Hamrick, of Cass, were before squire Marshall at Durbin on Tuesday, charged with killing a doe on Cheat Mountain. They confessed and were fined $30 each and costs.



Some persons are husking corn, but corn is drying out very slow.

Calves have all been sold, and in looking around over the county it looks as if yearling cattle will be scarce and high next spring.

Good milk cows are scarce and high; a few are offering to sell at $75 per head.

D. Varner was in these parts a few days ago looking after good stock ewes, for which he was offering very good prices.

Miss Leah Ruckman, of Millpoint, after spending a week or two with her sister, Mrs. Charles Gum, returned to her home last Friday.

O. W. Ruckman, of Tannery Town, is having a bay window put in his house.



Mrs. Verna Alderman who has been quite sick, has gone to her father’s near Minnehaha to take treatment to try to recuperate her health.

The heavy rains Sunday prevented the usual amount of automobiling to Minnehaha Springs.

Clarence McComb is spending several days visiting friends near Beard.

Edgar Smith lost his first load of lumber in Knapps Creek, Monday morning.

Henry McComb has been quite indisposed for several days.

Milliard Filmore Herold, of near Frost, stopped overnight with his sister, Mrs. Ida Moore, last Wednesday evening. He was on his way to the county seat.

Ex-Sheriff J. H. Buzzard has been taking up lambs in this section for several days. He has about eight hundred to take up in Virginia.

Henry McComb lost a fine colt last week by its being frightened by a flock of geese and jumping on a wire fence.

Squire and Mrs. D. B. McElwee, of Minnehaha Springs, were calling on their daughter, Mrs. Eliju Moore, Saturday.



We have been having some rain lately. Husking corn is the order of the day.

Lee Wilmoth has been hauling some tiling for draining the pike.

J. D. Wilmoth, of Durbin, passed through Friday evening enroute for Monterey in his automobile.

Sam Spencer took some lambs to Uriah Hevener’s scales Tuesday.

Dyer Gum and his mules were delivering tiling on the mountain Friday.

Miner Mullenax’s little child died Sunday, aged about three months. The mother died when the baby was only a few days old.

Mr. Hoover’s sawmill came into our neighborhood Saturday to saw some lumber for Dr. A. E. Burner, but we understand that they will have to make the road wider before they can get the mill to the logs.



Yes it rained and then snowed some and got cold enough to remind us that winter is almost here.

Putting up the winter stoves and having the coal bin or wood shed filled is the town order.

Dr. L. H. Moomau is having a cistern put up so he can put water into his house.



We are having quite a nice snow here.

Some wild turkeys have been killed in the near vicinity. A grizzly bear has been playing havoc among the lambs.


Speaking in general, everybody is singing the praises of the Horse Show here last week and hats are off to E. J. McLaughlin and his brother, Lee P., for the enterprising spirit which brought it about.

Richard and Homer Callison have moved to their farms recently bought in Culpepper county, Va. We are sorry to see you leave, young gentlemen.

E. H. Beard, who has been sick in bed the past month, seems to be convalescing and we hope soon to see him out again.



The most industrious farmers of this part are through or about through husking corn, and the ones who planted no corn last spring found it to be no hard matter to get through husking.

J.S.B. Pyles, of Beaver Creek, was at Huntersville last Friday.

In regard to the “Forest Fire Law,” we pity the poor farmer who sets fire to any brush pile or stump for he will have to stay there until the fire goes out. It looks as though the days of clearing land have dcome to an end.



After the rain–snow covered the ground three inches, and hunters were busy and some game taken.

Walter Beverage is building a fine house and will soon go to housekeeping.

T. R. Beverage got hurt, but not seriously, while hauling lumber for the Monroe Lumber Co, who is shipping at Wanless Siding.



Colonel George M. Edgar died at his home at Paris, Kentucky, last Saturday, in his 77th year, of ailments incident to age. He was a first cousin of Captain A.M. Edgar, who died a few days before. These two men were greatly attached to each other, and it is thought the death of Captain Edgar hurried the end of his cousin. The deceased was Colonel of Edgar’s Battalion of the Confederate Army.



In the October 16, 1913 edition of The Pocahontas Times, it was reported that Mr. and Mrs. Dal Burritt’s little girl was killed by the train at Warntown.

Bill McNeel did some research and found that the family’s last name was Burdette, and the little girl’s name was Veva Burdette.




more recommended stories