Thursday, June 10, 1915

As C. R. Cook was driving his automobile along Drinnan Ridge last Sunday afternoon, a cow standing by the road side horned another cow and caused her to jump immediately in front of the automobile. Though the machine was going at a moderate speed, it could not be stopped in time and the cow’s leg was broken. The cow belonged to J. A. Young and had to be killed. Mr. Cook promptly settled for the cow.

The following citizens have been summoned as grand jurors for a special term of the circuit court to be held July 6 at 9 a.m.:
Greenbank – John W. Hevener, Joe Phillips, Uriah Hevener, Cam Arbogast
Edray – P. L. Carter, Tom Beale, Porter Kellison, W. R. Moore
Huntersville – Ellis Buzzard, C. P. McElwee, D. W. Dever, Henry Burr
Levels – J. Wilson Hill, Fred Ruckman, W.M. Irvine, E. H. McLaughlin

You can hear the war discussed every evening, as nearly every country is represented here.
There are quite a number of Austrians and Italians here, but their salt barrel of patriotism appears licked as dry as a powder house, as I have never heard one express a willingness to go home and fight for his country.
How different is the lumber camps of this county now from what it was 25 years ago. The daily paper reaches us each evening; all the modern conveniences and everything to eat money can buy. We used to take what we could get and wait until we could get it.
I have met several of the old white pine lumbermen since I have been in Pocahontas – Capt. A. E. Smith, Jacob Carey, David Smith, James Watson and a score of others.

A team of livery horses ran away with Luther Peck and family near the Wilmoth homestead and scared the family badly, but no serious damage was done.
The brick work of the electric light plant has been completed by Joe Ward, and the cement work is now being put in.
Kyle Curtis is the champion boy with a horn and made the people take notice at the Sunday School institute.
Big I.O.O.G. and L.O.O.M and Red Men picnic at the A.M.V. Arbogast sugar orchard on the 3rd of July. We expect 2,000 people. If they don’t come they will certainly miss one part of their lives. The Editor of The Pocahontas Times is cordially invited to make us a speech and if he don’t want to make a speech surely he can come and bring his family and eat dinner with us.

Henry Burr and son, Dewey, of Burr, were business visitors here one day last week.
S. J. Boggs has bought the P. W. Underwood store here and will hereafter conduct the business. His many friends are glad to have him back again.
The Burr Valley mail route started last Saturday with Meric Alderman as carrier.
Zane Moore was down from the Minnehaha club house a few days ago. He reports business up there in a flourishing condition.

Sidney McCoy purchased a gasoline engine recently.
W. A. Bowling reports that his coal mine is turning out fine. We wish Mr. Browning much success in his venture.
We noticed in the last issue of the Times that Mrs. J. W. Beard, of Beard, owned a flock of sheep averaging 8 pounds of wool each. N. C. McCoy can beat that by 2 pounds. Can this be beat?

William A. Duncan, of Buckeye, departed this life on Saturday, June 5, 1915, aged 67 years, 3 months, 25 days. For some months he had been in failing health. While he had not identified himself with any branch of the church, yet his life and association with his friends and acquaintances indicated that for several years past he had been looking forward to the time of the “Crossing of the Bar,” and near the end expressed himself as being fully in the Lord’s hand, and resigned to his will.
In his association with his neighbors he was always very quiet and peaceful, being a good example to follow in preserving peace and good humor among his neighbors, and was absolutely honest in all his dealings. Funeral service at the Cloonan graveyard on Sunday afternoon was conducted by Rev. Geo. P. Moore in the presence of a large congregation. Mr. Duncan is survived by his wife and their six children: Mrs. Enoch McNeill, Mrs. Harper Adkison, J. Colbert, Geo. W. Elmer and Austin.
– – –
On Sunday, May 30, 1915, just as the day was “dying in the west,” Mr. John R. Warwick passed quietly into eternity at his home near Greenbank, Pocahontas county, after an illness of more than three years. Some three years ago a case of Bright’s disease developed and he has been regarded ever since as critically ill, particularly for the last three months.
Mr. Warwick was born near his home in 1843 and was at the age of 71 years, seven months and one day. At the age of 19 he entered the Civil War as a member of Capt. Arbogast’s Company E, 31st Regiment, and was promoted to the rank of captain. He participated in several of the skirmishes in West Virginia; he served under Stonewall Jackson in world-famous Valley cam paign; he was with Lee at Gettysburg, Jackson at Antietem, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and the “Seven Days” around Richmond. At the Battle ofWinchester he was captured and taken to Camp Chase where he remained until paroled after the surrender, after which he committed himself to the establishment of a home and the life of an honorable and useful citizen.

more recommended stories