November 26, 1914


The fire alarm sounded early Friday morning, the furnace house in the rear of C. A. Yeager’s residence having caught from kindling piled too near the furnace. All the fire companies responded and the fire was out in a few minutes. The general alarm was sounded and the town wakened by means of the night service of the Ronceverte & Elkins Telephone Company. The effect of the service that this company is giving night and day is to provide the town with a very effective fire alarm system at all hours, with no part of the town isolated.

Our friend, Henry Davenport, sent us a picture of a long snouted, voracious, esocoid fish, weighing some twenty-four pounds which was taken in Elk River in Clay county. The letter was addressed to “Fish Editor of the Times.” Though Elk river rises in sight of this town, so far as we know there has never been a pike taken in any of the waters of this county. This is a good thing for fishing in general for the pike is as to other fish what a wolf is to a herd of sheep. Even that amiable old gent, Izaak Walton, has a grudge for the pike: “The mighty luce or pike is taken to be the tyrant, as the salmon is the king of the fresh waters.” This fish is plentiful just over the mountain in the James river waters and we know of no reason why it has never come into the Greenbrier River unless it is on account of the falls of New River. We know not by what fallacious meats this monster of the deep was beguiled, for no details were given, but it is eloquent that he is suspended on a string out of his element, and we call the picture, “Sic Semper Tyrannus.”



The strangest election news comes from Logan county. At one precinct which is almost solidly Republican, rumor hath it, that somebody got drunk and lost the election supplies and that the polls did not open until after sundown and that they voted by candlelight far into the night. The effect of the election at that precinct was to make a difference in one of the clerkships. If the votes were counted, the Republican nominee won, otherwise the Democrat. The Supreme Court holds that the polls must close at sundown and the precinct was thrown out.



The Allegheny Sportsmen’s Association will give their annual Banquet and Game Supper on Friday evening, November 27.

$1.50 per plate including entertainment, music and dancing. Throughout the evening music will be furnished by the Marlinton orchestra. The public is cordially invited.



Everybody in this section seems to be pleased with the election returns.

The weather has been too dry for good corn husking, but we had good showers Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Edward Truman has purchased an automobile from Uriah Hevener.

W. J. Barkley took a load of grain to the Dunmore mill Tuesday.

A fine young horse belonging to Charles Spencer cut himself very badly by jumping on the yard paling (sp) Thursday night. He was cut in the breast about ten inches long and seven inches deep. Dr. Miller of Monterey, was called and rendered surgical aid. The horse will probably recover.

Kenton Wilmoth raised a potato that weighed five pounds. This is the largest we have heard of in this section.

Born to Jason Simmons and wife, November 9, a daughter.



The farmers are all occupying their time in getting wood and preparing for cold weather.

E. F. Detamore has finished sawing ties for Mitchell Sharp. He will move his mill to Frost to do some sawing for Clay Dreppard.

Mrs. Zane Grimes is spending the winter with her daughter, Mrs. Henry Gragg, at Hosterman.

Mr. and Mrs. Ulysses Grimes, of Cloverlick, spent Saturday and Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Pat Howdyshell.



“There comes a time, I think in the life of every man when feeble words come faintly up for utterance – where the human soul refuses to ease its agony in empty phrases – when neither tongue can tell nor pen portray the gloom which overshadows the spirit engulfed in love.”

I, for one, appreciate fully the meaning of the sentence above, dear reader, and if you have not already done so, you will in all probability realize it at some time.

It was not my intention to attempt to write an obituary of him whose name appears at the head of this article. If a man has done anything for himself, for humanity or for his friends as this man has, his life will speak for itself. But from the fact that his hosts of friends who have made anxious inquiry, they expect some notice of his death which occurred on Monday, October 12, 1914, after an illness of six days. He was born September 26, 1848; aged 66 years and 16 days.

His mother who is in her 97th year is still living. He also leaves a wife and nine children to mourn the death of a dear husband and an affectionate father. He was a consistent member of the M. E. Church for 25 years, a Sunday school Superintendent for about 10 years, and was loved by all his members, young and old. Mr. Sharp was one of the leading men of our county, serving as member and president of the county court. He was always loyal to his county.



We take this means of returning our most heartfelt thanks to the neighbors and friends of Warwick and vicinity for their unlimited kindness shown us during the recent illness of my wife, my child and myself. Since the death of my dear wife and child I am very lonely and sad, yet I feel that words fail to express the gratitude of my heart to the many friends who have given me so many tokens of sympathy and substantial help in this my hour of sore bereavement. May the richest of God’s blessings, both spiritual and temporal, be theirs to enjoy.

K. S. Weiford

more recommended stories