Thursday, July 23, 1914

A petition has been forwarded to the department asking that the post office at Academy change its name to Hillsboro. Hillsboro has always been the local name. When the post office was first established it could not take its own name on account of a Hillsboro in Louden county, but since the formation of West Virginia the name Hillsboro has been open. There are only twenty-six Hillsboros in the United States. We hear that everyone there is in favor of the change and a name that has endured so long deserves the serious consideration of the department. The name is not from the configuration of the country, but from the family name.

Frank Maxwell and John Stewart, of Clarksburg, were in the Levels taking up cattle last week. They weighed up and loaded two car loads, one out of M. J. McNeel’s pasture which averaged 1,395, and one from Carl Beard’s which averaged 1,325. These are good weights considering that it is early in the season and the dry weather.


This section was visited Monday be a terrible hail storm, doing great damage to corn and gardens.

The hay crop is short, about one half on account of drought.

Mrs. Mary Fertig, who has been confined to her bed for the last six weeks from injuries received by falling down stairs is now able to sit up in a chair.

G. H. Shrader purchased C. C. Dunsmore’s flock of thoroughbred buff American chickens, which he added to his Hillside poultry farm.

A. J. Dilley is doing a rushing business weaving carpets and rugs on his new loom.


Lou Gibson, of Topeka, Kansas, spent a few days with his daughter Mrs. B. F. Sharp. He was accompanied by his daughter, Mrs. Joe Thomas, of Hot Springs. Mrs. Sharp had not seen her father for thirteen years and she recognized him at first sight.

The Children’s Day exercises at Buzzard were largely attended. All acquitted themselves creditably. The program was quite long and showed excellent training on the part of those in charge, and remarkable talent among the children.


Grass is burning up and corn is doing fine.

Bruce Woods, who was badly hurt a few weeks ago, is able to go about again.

Pratt Marshall purchased a fine car a few days ago.

We are sorry to hear of the death of our friend, Lloyd Jordan.


We understand forty men went to work at the new town, Raywood, near Sitlington.

The Warn railroad is up in the Alleghany mountains.

Fred Fertig has a very sick child.

Lawrence Nottingham has commenced sawing.

Miss Genevieve Yeager, of Marlinton, spent two weeks in town.

June McElwee and wife and Bland Nottingham spent Saturday night at the celebrated Minnehaha Springs and report a very fine time.

Jacob Burner Taylor died at the home of his mother Tuesday evening of Tuberculosis, the result of a hurt he received while at work in Texas five years ago. He leaves a wife, three children, a mother, seven brothers, four sisters and a host of friends to mourn their loss. Interment at the Dunmore cemetery. Peace to his ashes.


Corn is looking very well considering the dry weather. The hay crop will be almost a complete failure.

Mrs. Matilda Moore was called to Dunmore to see her sister, Mrs. Alice Carpenter, who is dangerously ill.

Jacob Lightner was in this part buying cattle and hay.


Good growing weather but quite an excitement over the army worms. They are eating up the meadows and causing many people to cut their oats green.

Born to Ode Ervin and wife, a son.

Sylvia Dell, the little ten year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ward Hudson, of Durbin, was buried in the Arbovale graveyard last week.

Miss Flossie Conrad is at home again after spending several weeks at Cloverlick.

Mr. Laban Wilfong and baby Marguriete, of Boyer, were down to see Mrs. Frances Wooddell last week.


Hay making is in order; the crop is very light in this section.

Cornelius Stulting, of Academy, is visiting friends here.

J. W. Malcomb and Mrs. Page Malcomb, of Marlinton, Mrs. Marion Malcomb and little daughter, of Alabama, spent Saturday night and Sunday at P. L. Carter’s.

Harry Baxter, timekeeper for the Spruce Lumber company, at Bergoo, was at home Saturday night, returning Sunday. He says they will move this week in five miles of Webster Springs, and they are still pushing the road down Elk River.


A few local showers greatly revived the grass; hay crop will do well to average a half a crop; oats short; corn doing well and if the showers continue to come we expect a fair crop. Young stock will be sold for less money owing to the scarcity of hay.

Rev. C. E. Tallman, of Stony Bottom, preached at Wanless the 18th and 19th. Mr. Tallman is a homemade preacher and fills the pulpit efficiently and acceptably to his hearers, leaving an impress for good. Come again, Brother Tallman.

Ed Vance was in this part looking for cattle.


Little girl, you look so small,

Don’t you wear no clothes at all?

Don’t you wear no shimmy-shirt?

Don’t you wear no pretty skirt?

Just your corset and your hose,

Are those all of your underclothes?

Little girl, when on the street

You appear to be all feet,

With your dress so very tight

You surely are an awful sight.

Nothing on to keep you warm,

Crazy just to show your form.

Little girl, you won’t live long,

Just because you dress all wrong.

Can’t you wear more underclothes

Than your corset and your hose?

After while I do believe

You will dress like Mother Eve.

-Harper’s Bazaar


Born to Mr. and Mrs. Warden Waugh, of Edray, a son.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Bright, of Riverside, a son.

Born to Mr. and MRs. Z. S. Smith, of Marlinton, a son.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Irvine, of Warwick, a daughter.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Buckley, of Buckeye, a daughter.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Enoch McNeill, of Buckeye, a daughter.


Mrs. Inez Lightner, wife of Andrew J. Lightner, died at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore. For many months she has been in failing health, and she was taken to the hospital in hopes a surgical operation would save her life, but to no avail. On Saturday she was buried at the Buckeye church by the graves of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Adkison.

Mrs. Lightner was about 30 years old, and is survived by her husband, her sister, Mrs. O. E. McKeever, and her brother, Harper Adkison. She was a good useful woman of a consistent christian.

Mrs. Lewis Simmons died at her home at Bartow Monday morning, July 20, after an illness of less than a week’s duration. On Tuesday her remains were brought to Marlinton and laid to rest in the cemetery here near the grave of her son, Lewis, who died two years ago.

more recommended stories