Thursday, July 9, 1914


S. R. Hogsett was in town Monday, and had with him a rattlesnake over four feet long, which he had captured near his home.

Sheriff Cochran brought in two Italians from Elk, charged with dynamiting fish.

Jean, little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Summers Sharp, aged about a year, was made very sick by putting matches in her mouth Saturday.

E. H. Moore reports that he pulled up a stalk of corn on his farm near Academy which had feeder roots that actually measured three feet, five inches in length.

Born, July 4, 1914, to Mr. and Mrs. Allan Edgar, a daughter.

LaRue Robb, aged about five years, son of Harry Robb, at Seebert, wandered into the burner at the Denmar mill Sunday and was terribly burned about the feet. This little boy, when a baby, was badly burned with a lamp.



Biggest and best, sanest and safest – that describes the Fourth as celebrated at Marlinton this year. The town overflowed with well-dressed, well-behaved people, and all appeared to thoroughly enjoy the day. Not a drunk nor a rowdy in town, and not an arrest was made. Financially the day was also successful. The fire department clearing $250 over all expenses

The ballgame in the morning resulted in a victory for the Cass team by a score of 10 to 5, but in the afternoon game, which was called on account of rain, the score was somewhat in favor of the Marlinton team.

In the hose race, Company 1 was given the prize, a fireman’s trumpet. The time was 33 seconds. Company 2 made it in 34 seconds. The tannery team’s fast run was of no avail by a tangled hose. The distance was 100 yards to run, connect to hydrant, lay 150 feet of hose, attach nozzle, and turn on water. Time to be counted from start until water issues from nozzle.

The parade was by far the best ever had here. The large number of automobiles being the main feature. The W.C.T.M. had a very fine float. The band played fine music all day, and without it the day would have been incomplete.

After dinner the race track was the centre of attraction, and finer lot of horses, on and off the track, would have been hard to find.



Everybody came back from the 4th and reported a grand time.

Clarence Shinaberry, who has been working for C. S. Curry the past month, returned to his home at Clover Lick, Monday.

The Children’s Day at Sunset last Sunday had a fine program and all seemed to enjoy it.

Miss Leta Fertig of Thorny Creek spent Sunday with Miss Ruth Sharp.

Mr. and Mrs. Adam Rhea, of Linwood, are visiting friends in our community.



B. E. Beard, station agent at this place was called to Falling Spring last week by the death of his mother.

David Grogg sold his fine driving horse at White Sulphur.

Mrs. Willis Burner will leave in a short time for Terra Alta to take treatment in the new sanatorium at that place.

Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Walters were called to Staunton by the death of Mr. Walters’ sister and her son. They went across country in an automobile, saving two day’s time

Dyer Gum sent over a fine crate of cherries from his new farm in Virginia.

Mr. Ruckman from Alleghany Mountain has sent out two shipments of cattle this week. Fine looking animals they were, too.

The recent rains have done wonders for the gardens in this section. It looked for a time as if all garden stuff was going to dry up, but it has taken courage and a new start and looks very luscious!

Lorna Doone Rexrode, little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland Rexrode, was one of the little ones which was called home last week. On Friday morning she was playing around her home, the picture of health. About noon she developed a case of asthma and despite all efforts of the medical men she lived but a short twenty-four hours, departing this life at noon on Saturday…She was laid to rest beside her grandfather, Mr. Grogg, at Boyer.

Paul Hevener, while at the home of Will Hull on Alleghany Mountain, was struck by lightning and his shirt burned on his back. Every occupant of the house was shocked and the boy did not get attention until some of the others came to enough to know the extent of the injury. Three sheep were killed by the storm which was one of the heaviest we have had in this section for some time.



The charter for the new bank has arrived and the organization will be effected next Saturday.

The patrons of Academy post office have a petition out to change the name to Hillsboro, and a large number are signing it.

The town council met Monday night and decided to put before the voters of the town a bond issue of $3,000 for improvements on walks and streets.

It is a daily occurrence to receive applications from persons desiring to rent property in Academy in order to take advantage of our very superior school facilities. Not a vacant homein town.



Dry and hot and grass burning. Hay will be scarcer than has ever been known in this part of the country.

J. W. Grimes and son, Quay, were at Marlinton last Friday with a load of wool.

Hevener Dilley, with his new reaper, is helping the framers to cut their wheat in this part.

Dr. Lockridge was called Sunday to see little Hattie Fertig who fell from a horse and was badly injured.


Jasper Auldridge died Thursday evening, July 2, 1914, after an illness of several months from heart disease, aged 46 years. On Sunday morning his body was buried at the graveyard on the Clayborne McNeil place, the funeral being from the Buckeye church, and under the charge of the Masons. The services were conducted by the Rev. J. H. Bean.

Jasper Auldridge was the oldest child of the late T. M. Auldridge, and was one of the best and most widely known citizens of the Edray District. He is survived by his wife, his mother and a number of brothers and sisters. For many years he had been a professing christian, a member of the Methodist Protestant Church. He was also a Mason, an Oddfellow, a Knight of Pythias, a Woodman and a Moose. Honest and upright in all his dealing, he was a good citizen in every sense of the word, and his place in the community will be hard to fill.

more recommended stories