100 Years Ago

Thursday, August 19, 1920

Word was received on Monday that Chauncey Goodwyn had been killed in a mill in Pennsylvania. He is the eldest son of Isam H. Goodwyn and was about 22 years old. His body is expected home today.

– – –

E. F. McLaughlin and son, Frank, bring in the snake tale of the year. The other week they came on to a big garter snake which had a big family of forty-seven little snakes.


Arrangements have been made to hold the Annual Club Camp at Minnehaha the week beginning September 6th…

A fee of one dollar will be charged each member to help defray expenses necessarily incurred.

Bed, mattress and sheets will be provided for all girls, but each girl should bring one double blanket or blanket and quilt. No mattress or bed can be supplied for the boys, so each boy should bring suitable equipment for sleeping on the floor.

The following eatables should be brought by each club member:

A picnic lunch for the first day supper, 1 pound ham, 1 live chicken, 1 pound salt pork, 1 half-dozen eggs, 18 potatoes, 6 ears of sweet corn, 1 quart of beans, 4 young beets, 1 onion, 6 ripe tomatoes, 1/4 cup macaroni, and 1/4 pound cheese, 1 glass jam or jelly, 1 dozen pickles, 1 can condensed milk, 1 loaf of bread, 4 pounds flour, 1/2 pound butter, 1 cabbage head, 1/2 pound sugar, 8 peaches or a few apples.

Each member should bring a towel, soap, toothbrush and paste, comb, tinplate, drinking cup, knife, fork, spoon and bathing suit…

G. D. McNeill, Co. Supt.


The long distance record for canoeing has been broken by Fleming Cobb, he having paddled with a loaded canoe from Point Pleasant to Charleston in a single night – a distance of sixty miles.

He did this against the current of the Kanawha River with a canoe loaded with powder and shot. He left Point Pleasant at dusk, the time being about 6 or 7 o’clock and arrived at Charleston at 10 o’clock the next morning.

This feat of strength was not accomplished without some stimulus – for three Indians pursued him all the way. They were real Indians and not prohibition officers…


A very quiet, but pretty wedding took place Wednesday of last week at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Barlow, when their daughter, Miss Grace, was united in marriage to Dr. H. B. Hill, of Cass. Both parties are widely known, and have a host of friends. The bride has taught two terms in the graded school at Cass. Dr. Hill holds the responsible position of Druggist for the West Virginia Pulp & Paper Co. at Cass…

Miss Annie Frances Harper, of Hillsboro is the guest of Mrs. M. J. Baxter for a few days.

District Supt. L. E. Resseger held a very interesting Quarterly Conference at West Union, Saturday night and Sunday. The minimum salary fixed for this charge was $1,200 and it was unanimously decided to have Rev. G. D. Sampson take charge of the work another year, providing the Bishop agrees to send him.

D. L. Barlow is now cozily located in his tent at Big Springs and we think is truly able to sing “Tenting tonight, on the old camp ground.”


The late War on the night of August 13, 1920, exacted another victim from the young men of the county in the death of Julian Nottingham at the home of his father, Zach Nottingham, at Boyer.

Julian was at Camp Lee, Va., when the influenza was claiming such a toll of service men. Before gaining his strength, he was hurried into duties too heavy for him and it was soon found that he could not endure the hardships of military life and he was sent home.

He never regained his former robust condition and after a long period of uncertainty, it was found that he was afflicted with tuberculosis, evidently contracted in camp.

He made a brave struggle against the disease, going from one sanatorium to another, but finding no relief. Seeing that nothing could be done to stay the progress of the malady, a short time before his death, he came back to his old home where among friends and loved ones he answered the call to depart and be at rest…

He was laid to rest in the family cemetery in the beautiful valley facing his father’s home.

– – –


On August 8th, 1920, the death angel entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hansen Doyle, of Linwood, and called home to rest their youngest child, aged 3 years, 5 months and 23 days.

Little Zenis suffered for many days with the flux but was very patient through it all. It is hard to give up the baby boy, and we miss his jolly smiling face but looking through our tears, we know that He doeth all things for the best. And again we hear the voice of Jesus as he says, “Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God.”

Funeral services were conducted at the home, after which the little body was laid to rest in the Varner graveyard.

Two of the other children in the same home. Mary and Della Lee, were afflicted with the same disease, but we are glad to say that they are both better and are able to be out again…


This is a warning to all persons that the law will be strictly enforced against all persons trespassing in the lands of the undersigned in Huntersville District in any way – passing through, picking berries, hunting, fishing, etc. Do not ask for permission as it will be refused.

This 12th day of August 1920.

Isaac Barlow
Huntersville, W. Va.

more recommended stories