100 Years Ago

Thursday, April 1, 1920


I find I have to quit the bake shop. If anyone wants to take it up before it stops, better act quick as I am liable to quit any day and take another job that is waiting for me. – G. F. Crummett, Proprietor of Star Bakery

– – –

Ernest N. Moore, of Dunmore, answers to the call for a farmer to represent Pocahontas County in the House of Delegates, and this week he becomes a candidate for the Democratic nomination. To our mind he should be nominated and elected. He is from an old Pocahontas family and is a successful and prosperous farmer. A number of years ago he served a term as sheriff, and he was the first of a series of sheriffs to come through successfully.

– – –

Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Yeager, of Cheyenne, Wyoming, were in Marlinton last week. They are on a swing around the circle, visiting relatives in various states. They came east by way of Buffalo, thence to Washington and Pocahontas. On their return, they will visit their sons at the University of Illinois. Mr. Yeager is a son of the late Henry A. Yeager. His last visit to his native county was about nine years ago.


Born to Mr. and Mrs. F. R. Hill, a son.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Harry A. Robb, a son.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Thompson, a son.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Galford, of Edray, a son.


Mathew Wallace McNeill died at his home on Seneca Trail near Buckeye, Tuesday morning, March 30, 1920. His age was 62 years. He had been in failing health a number of years, and he never recovered from an attack of influenza of last year. He is survived by his wife who was a Miss Perkins, and their son, Rush, and two daughters. Burial on Wednesday at the family graveyard…

Doc McNeill was a good citizen who made and kept friends. He was a son of the late Jonathan McNeill. Among the surviving members of his father’s family are Mrs. Aaron Kee, Mrs. J. B. Buckley, A. S. McNeill, of Braxton; U. S. McNeill, of Colorado; William Enoch and Daniel A. McNeill.


Sheriff William Gibson returned on Tuesday from Youngstown, Ohio, with George Muletic, a Croat, who is charged with the murder of John Moslo, another Croat, at the lumber camps on Cranberry last September.

The following particulars of the crime were printed in The Pocahontas Times of September 18, 1919:

“John Moslo, a Croat, aged 45, disappeared Sunday, September 7. He was drunk and had a large sum of money on him. He was at camp 40, two miles up the North Fork of Cranberry. On the 16th, his body was found beside a hemlock log. He had been killed in a peculiar manner. He was probably asleep. His assailant had cut down a round wood sprout, made a withe, and put a tourniquet around the neck and twisted until the neck was broken. The withe was around his neck when found. The pockets of the dead man were hanging wrong side out and had been rifled. The dead man was thought to have had $800 in cash on him and a check for $90.00.

“The check was cashed the next day at Richwood after the disappearance of another Croat who was the last person seen with the dead man on the day he disappeared. Efforts are being made to locate the man who cashed the check.

“Prosecutor A. P. Edgar, Dr. N. R. Price and Squire Bruffey went to the Cranberry country and held an inquest. Verdict: Death by strangulation.”

Mr. Gibson and his deputy, C. W. Kennison, traced Muletic as far as Youngstown, Ohio, but lost all trace of him in the foreign section of that city. The Cherry River Lumber Company, of Richwood, having put a reward of $500 for the arrest of the murderer, the matter was turned over to the police department of Youngstown. Last Saturday, Sheriff Gibson received a telegram that Muletic had been arrested, and he went and brought him in.

Mueltic is 27 years old, about five feet, 10 inches, weighs 175 pounds, powerfully built and muscular.

He understands and speaks English, but is not doing any talking as yet.

more recommended stories