100 Years Ago

Thursday, October 3, 1918
The Spanish influenza and the hunting fever struck us at the same time, and when you get both together you are some discontented. A man may lead a quiet, peaceful respectable, industrious life for ten months, and then at the first touch of frost in the air, he must answer to the call of nature and turn his thoughts to gun powder and leaden bullets and go on the war path in the woods. It is a trace of barbarism in the blood. Good thing it is there, perhaps, it prevents such bad men as the Hun hellions from running over us…

We once knew a man who suffered from the voices in the fall, and he had no peace until he had killed himself a deer. A libation of blood from a deer in the fall was necessary for him to get through the winter, and he always brought one in until extreme old age brought him peace. Success at hunting does not seem to have any thing to do with the hunting fever. It attacks the harmless Manlet just as it does the giant Blunderbore, and the pragmatic inventions around the camp fire are about the same. By taking thought they can add a few cubits to the distance that the game was away, and they claim to have brought the bird to the ground that they blew up in the air…

That silly hunter’s license is the fly in the ointment. Before you can even offer to hunt, you have to sue out a hunter’s license. You fill up a questionnaire and the clerk forges out the license. In fifty-five counties of this State, these useless hunter’s licenses are occupying the time of the best workers in West Virginia. There is an appalling amount of lost motion in the innovation on the common law. Why, a man is registered to vote without any of the endeavor that he has to put forth for the privilege of carrying a gun. Once registered, his name is carried forward automatically by the registrars until he dies, moves or is sent to the pen. This hunter’s license is as bad as if a husband had to sue out a marriage license every fall or be arrested for not having one. Too bad…

Two airplanes traveling due north and at a supposed height of 7,500 feet passed over our town at noon last Saturday. The noise from their engines could be plainly heard although the machines looked small owing to their great height…

Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Callison vacated their beautiful home last Monday to make room for Mr. and Mrs. Robinson and family who are moving in this week.


Charles Spencer has purchased an automobile from Carl Augustus.

Adam Calhoun has sold his property here and moved to Barbour Co. Charles Myers bought his farm.

Glen Spencer has bought a car, and now he is looking for a girl.

K. B. Wilmonth sold a good saddle and driving horse a few days ago.

J. D. Wilmonth was in our section squirrel hunting Saturday but we did not get his report.


Reed Gay is at home from Camp Lee on a month’s furlough.

Word has been received that Tip Gay has arrived safely in France.

C. R. Cook and family started by automobile for their farm near Gallipolis, Ohio, Wednesday.

Miss Susie Gay has returned from Staunton and accepted a position with S. B. Wallace & Co.

W. O. Doyle was over from Linwood on Tuesday. He says his father is preparing to move to Elkins.

In this paper, W. G. Cochran is advertising his personal property for sale at auction. He is preparing to move to a farm he recently purchased a Sunbury, Ohio, as short distance form Columbus. We understand he has sold his home place to Giles Sharp.


On Tuesday the body of Private Dewey Smith was brought home from Camp Lee, where he died September 27, 1918, after a three days’ illness with pneumonia, following an attack of influenza. The young soldier was twenty-two years of age, and was the son of John Smith, of Burr Valley. He went to Camp Lee in August.

Word is received from Camp Lee that Fred Hannah and Earl Gilmore, both of Elk, have died of pneumonia which is raging in that camp. Young Hannah is the son of Sheldon Hannah and young Gilmore is a son of J. W. Gilmore. The latter was married a few months ago.

Many friends will regret to hear of the death of Jesse McLaughlin which occurred at the Hinton Hospital, September 20, 1918, after a short illness of typhoid fever. His age was about 45 years. He is survived by his wife and daughter. His body was buried at Greenbank. Few lumbermen were better known than Mr. McLaughlin, who for many years had been woods superintendent for some of the larger lumber operations of the state.

more recommended stories