Subscribe Today



November 6, 1913

The town of Marlinton is to be congratulated that for the first time in the history of the town it was not put in a state of disorder on Halloween. Usually we have seen all the trash in town brought into Main street to be carried away the next day. The jokes were very feeble. Last Saturday morning everything was in place. We have not quite figured out why the young vandals did not go to infinite pains to cause us trouble, and it may be that a certain freight car incident, when a number of our young hopefuls came unpleasantly near going to jail, may have put the fear of the law in their unhallowed young hearts. Anyway we got through one Halloween season in decency and in order.


Guy White, little son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Lee White, of Minnehaha, died Tuesday, aged about five years, of membraneous croup.

Leon Hartman, aged ten years, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Harman, of Warntown, died Saturday, November 1, of blood poison. A few weeks ago he stepped on a nail and while it made a bad wound it appeared to be getting along well for a week when blood poison developed. The burial was at the Ruckman graveyard, near Marvin Chapel.

E. H. Moore, of Academy, was in town Tuesday and gave us a report on his corn crop. On four and a quarter acres he cribbed over 700 bushels of ears. The man who cut it said it was the biggest thick corn and the thickest big corn he had ever cut.

Wise Herold was in town Monday and reports that his son, Amos L. Herold, was a heavy loser in a fire which destroyed a building at the school in which he is teaching at Oxford, North Carolina.

Hunters on Spice Run found the carcass of an immense old bear which had eaten poison and died. These woods are full of poison, put there for the benefit of deer-chasing dogs.

R. S. Gay killed a wild turkey that weighed 22 pounds, on the Red Lick Mountain, Monday.



It rained and our first snow visited us, reminding us that winter is near at hand.

Harry Shrader is at home with a crippled foot, caused by a log rolling on him.

A. W. Fertig made a business trip to Huntersville recently.

Mrs. Lucy Fertig has been some what indisposed.

Rev. J. N. Sharp has gone to North Carolina for the benefit of his health.

Jacob Lightner passed through here with a drove of cattle.



We are glad to note that Mrs. John Rider and baby are better at this writing.

Henry White, of Douthards creek, passed through town Wednesday with a pair of nice colts he had purchased in Highland county.

Mrs. Ben Sharp and Mrs. W. J. Pritchard spent the day very pleasantly at the hospitable home of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Sharp.

We are glad to say that Uncle Abe Sharp is able to be out again.

Mrs. Sharp had a bad fall several days ago by catching her foot in the carpet.

Dr. Lockridge reports several cases of diphtheria in Huntersville.



Henry Taylor, aged about 50 years, was killed Wednesday morning by a limb striking him while cutting wood at his home near Wesley Chapel. Mr. Taylor was one of our best citizens, a christian gentleman, honest and upright in all things. He leaves a wife and seven children, one brother and one sister, and the whole neighborhood to mourn their loss. He will be buried at Wesley Chapel Thursday.

Died, at her home near Cass, the 28th day of October, Mrs. Bessie Curry, wife of Parker Curry, aged 22 years. Her husband and little child, aged five weeks, survive, beside several brothers and sisters. Interment at Stony Bottom, in the presence of a large and sorrowful concourse of friends and relatives. Services conducted by Rev. T. A. Burch. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church at Stony Bottom.

Died, at his home Saturday the 2nd inst., near Arbovale, after long suffering, Preston C. Erwin, aged 76 years. Mr. Erwin was an excellent citizen and neighbor. He is survived by on e son, Lee, and seven daughters, Mrs. W. W. Arbogast, Mrs. Casswell Keller, Mrs Ollie Varner, Mrs. J. O. Orndorff, Mrs. Morgan Rader, Mrs. Wallace Sutton, and hosts of friends and relatives to mourn. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Henderson. Interment in the Grogg graveyard.

Aunt Sallie Sharp, near Arbovale, who is 100 years old, is critically ill at this time.

Maj. J. C. Price is laid up with rheumatism. Also E. N. Curry is in with rheumatism at this time.

Geo. Taylor and Charlie Kelley killed, up to this time this fall, 41 raccoons with rings on their tails.

Mrs. Clarissa Taylor is not so well at this writing.

During the month of October the Dunmore mill ground 1,000 bushels wheat, 500 bushels buckwheat and 100 bushels of corn.



A very pretty home wedding was solemnized Wednesday, October 29, 1913, at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Amos McLaughlin, near Huntersville, when their daughter, Miss Verna, became the bride of Moffett Smith. Rev. K. D. Swecker performed the ceremony, after which the party partook of a sumptious dinner. Mr. smith and wife expect to make their future home at White Sulphur Springs.



Preston Moore Harper was born at the old Harper home on Knapps Creek in Pocahontas county, W. Va., March 16, 1844, and fell asleep October 24, 1913. In 1865 he was happily married to Lucretia Gumm, who has bee n to him a joy and help and strength these years, and whose ministries during his sikness and death were so precious that he would have no other. He leaves two daughters and one son, and three little children met him at the heavenly gate. As a husband and father he was a model. His home life was beautiful. Whoever came into close touch with it could not fail to be impressed by the sweet, pure, Christian atmosphere that prevaded it. Father, mother and children were all happy and contented in each other’s love.

As an unmistakeable evidence of appreciation of his worth in the community, one of the largest congregations ever seen in the Knapps Creek Valley assembled at his funeral…



more recommended stories