December 7, 1916
The New York World immediately after the election called for a change in the manner of electing a President, and declared that the antiquated method of the electoral college was a danger to the country. Lately when The World starts anything, it is well to look a little out, for it is very apt to come to pass. In order to flag this great paper, which was rushing onward in a course that was wrong, we wrote to it and straightened it out:
To the Editor of The World:
The World ought to be careful what it prescribes since it has advanced from the position of an advocate to that of an arbiter of national destinies.
To change the mode of the appointment of the President of the United States from the present system of electors to that of the popular vote, would immediately call for a uniform qualification of voters in several states, and the country would be embroiled at once over the question of the [black] vote. Time has established a condition of tolerance on this question that we hope never to see disturbed in our time.
Then, too, the movement seeking to incur the expense of increasing the number of voters without any corresponding gain, called woman suffrage, would become more feverish and annoying.
If any solid headed Congressman from the solid South should show signs of doing away with the autonomy of the state, guaranteed by the constitution, in the election of a President, then that poor man’s family and friends ought to have his head examined for redundant bony integument.
– – –
E. G. Holesapple received a broken nose, a broken wrist and other injuries when he was thrown from a motor car on the railway near Renick last Tuesday. Something broke about the car, causing it to leave the track. Two other men on the car were not injured.
– – –
The little son of R. G. Menifee, of Cloverlick, was very badly burned last Friday. The little boy is less than two years old and he and a four year old child were in a room in which there was a lighted lantern. The little one pulled the lantern over and was badly burned about the face and left arm. His mother heard the screams of the older child. She was painfully burned in putting out the fire. Mother and child are now at the Marlinton Hospital. It is thought the child’s arm can be saved.
Killed Fine Buck
One day last week while coming across the mountain from Pocahontas by way of Spring Creek, Greenbrier county, two men spied in the distance ahead of them a commotion annoying some cattle in a field. Not paying any attention to the matter, however until they were in close proximity, to their surprise they observed a very fine buck deer in the midst of the herd of cattle that had formed a circle around the primeval visitor, who was doing his very best in warding off the attacks that were being made upon him by the infuriated herd. The battle was proceeding at such a rate as to eliminate all sense of fear at the presence of the travelers who quickly ran to a farm house and securing a gun returned and dispatched the fleet footed buck, which proved to be one of the best specimens that has been captured in these parts for many a day.
J. A. Hiner passed through town last week with his cattle that he had been grazing on his Elk farm.
We expect in two or three weeks to have a first class blacksmith, wagon maker and machinist in our town. Harry Thompson will arrange a house for him and the shop is ready.
Our phone lines are getting in bad shape. There is some talk of moving the switchboard from Dunmore to Arbovale. When that is done they will kill the line from there to Marlinton and from there to Monterey if the switch board is taken out at Bartow. Better get in a switchboard at Frost and improve the line to Virginia.
Died, at his home near Dunmore, November 24, 1916, Stephen H. Wanless, aged about 88 years. Mr. Wanless was a good quiet citizen. He was a soldier in the Civil War and a pensioner. He leaves his wife and many friends to mourn their loss. He was laid to rest in the old Arbogast graveyard.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Dumire, of Warwick, a son.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. A. H. McFerrin, of Marlinton, a son.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. John Landis, of Warwick, a son.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Sheets, of Marlinton, a daughter.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. J. J. McNellen, of Marlinton, a son.
A special service will be held at the Edray Methodist Episcopal church December 9, 1916, at 11 a.m., the special occasion being the thirty-third anniversary of the dedication of the edifice…
Here follows a short historical sketch of the building and dedication of this church:
Early in the year 1882 the people living in the vicinity of Edray began to agitate the question of building a church at this place. The Rev. J. S. Wickline was then in charge of the circuit of which this appointment is a part, and began soliciting for funds before he was transferred to other work in 1883. He secured about $800 in subscriptions, and when he left turned the papers over to a building committee composed of S. B. Moore, Wm. Sharp and George P. Moore. George P. Moore continued solicitations for the purpose until he secured about $1,600, having made over three hundred solicitations, and carried his work to Baltimore City and secured over $100 from parties from whom he then purchased merchandise.
About the first of January, 1883, George P. Moore and E. D. King drew a plan for the building, and the work of preparation for building began. About 20,000 feet of lumber was contracted for with Lakin & Peters who were operating a sawmill at Cloverlick, who agreed to furnish and raft the lumber down the Greenbrier river to the Gay Place (there was no railroad then) for the sum of ten dollars per thousand. D. H. Garber was then operating a sawmill at Edray and Geo. P. Moore put in the timber for all heavy parts of the building, about 15,000 feet or more, and also furnished and put in timber enough to make 22,000 sawed shingles for the roof.
The building was put under contract to E. D. King, at the sum of $700, about the first of May, 1883, and completed about the first of December following (some extras were put in) and presented for dedication and this event advertised for the 9th of December 1883, was consummated at that time in the presence of a large crowd of people gathered from all parts of the county…
To be continued…