Allen Blackhurst is at the podium in April 1970 during a ceremony to close the Cass School where he graduated in 1911. County educators and school officials are seated on the stage. They are, left to right: Mr. Ruckman, principal; Dr. Roland P. Sharp; Mack Brooks, former Supt. of Schools; Pearl Carter Ward; Virgil Harris; Grey Cassell, County Supt.; Estes Crist; Bob Vance and Tony Hamed. The Cass School first opened in 1901 with an enrollment of 16 students. The growing population in the town of Cass brought about by the timber boom caused a rapid increase in school enrollment. A larger school was built and additions were added on. In 1916 the enrollment was approximately 400. When the school closed at the end of the 1969-70 term there were about 75 students and five teachers. Courtesy of Becky O’Brien, ID: PHP001345
Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preserv ingpocahontas.org If you have historical records or photographs to be scanned for the county Historical Archive contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email info@pocahontaspreser vation.org Prints of photographs are available.