The closing of the Federal Prison Camp at Mill Point as seen through the eyes of two staff members standing on the porch of an administration building. The minimum security U.S. federal prison opened for operation in 1938 and was located west of Mill Point on a plot in the Monongahela National Forest adjacent to the Cranberry Glades. By the time it closed in 1959 more than 6,000 men had served time here. The buildings were demolished after its closure. This photo is one of 30 in a collection recently shared with Preserving Pocahontas by Bernard Blankenship, of Richwood. We thank Mr. Blankenship and also Dick and Sharon Wallace, of Milton, for sharing the photos so they could be scanned. Courtesy of Bernard “Whitey” Blankenship, ID: PHP001224
Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preserving pocahontas.org If you have historical records or photographs to be scanned for the county Historical Archive contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Prints of photographs are available.