Marlinton Mayor’s Corner

NOTE: This issue was examined in a previous pipeline article, by John Harper, Engineering Technician, Engineering Division, Public Service Commission of West Virginia. “New Service to RV Campgrounds; 4th Quarter 2012.”

I believe questions regarding this matter warrant a revisit.

Water and Sewer Service to RV Campgrounds

Temporary housing in recreational vehicles (RVs) has increased greatly during the past year due to construction of several new gas pipelines across West Virginia, as well as continued Marcellus Shale gas well drilling and related construction activities.

Many property owners across the state are looking to add a few sites for RV hookups, while others are developing permanent campgrounds.

The first question the utility should ask is whether the installation is temporary or permanent.

If the RV campground is a temporary installation, then the owner pays the entire cost of providing the water and sewer service, including removal of the service when completed, if applicable. The PSC Rules regarding temporary service are covered in Water Rule §150CSR7, 4.1.f. and Sewer Rule §150CSR5, 5.2.g.

If the landowner is installing a permanent campground, the utility should follow normal initiation of service or line extension protocols.

Permanent residences require individual meters and taps, whereas temporary services can be covered by a master water meter or individual sewer tap. Master meters for mobile home parks with permanent residents are prohibited under Water Rule 3.3 and Sewer Rule 3.3.

The point of service for both water and sewer customers for permanent residences should be near the property boundary or the lot line of each individual customer. Individual water meters will be required.

more recommended stories