#12 East Hardy gets go-ahead score with 21 seconds left in game
The Pocahontas County High School Warriors played an exceptional game Friday evening – especially on defense – but lost a heartbreaker to the East Hardy Cougars at Warrior Field, 13-12. Ultimately, an extra point made the difference in the game.
One touchdown was scored in each quarter of the see-saw battle:
- PCHS RB Morgan Mason scored on a 1-yard TD plunge with 45 seconds remaining in the first quarter to put the Warriors up, 6-0. An extra-point kick attempt missed.
- East Hardy tied the game at 4:55 in the second quarter on a one-yard TD by QB Corey McDonald. A two-point conversion attempt was no good.
- PCHS scored at 4:15 in the third quarter on a five-yard TD pass from QB Wyatt Workman to WR Logan Davis. An extra-point kick attempt was no good.
- East Hardy scored on a one-yard QB keeper with 21 seconds remaining to tie the game at 12-12. The extra-point kick was good, making it 13-12 for the Cougars.
- With time expiring, PCHS lost a fumble on the final kickoff and East Hardy ran out the clock with one kneel-down.
SEE VIDEO SECTION FOR GAME HIGHLIGHTS
(NOTE on stats – in individual stats, please add Kyle Lester’s stats to Morgan Mason’s stats)
The Warriors won the turnover battle, 6-3, snagging four interceptions and recovering two East Hardy fumbles. But the Warrior offense struggled to maintain drives and scored on just one drive after getting the ball on a turnover. PCHS QB Wyatt Workman extended his streak to four games with a TD pass. On the defensive side of the ball, the Warriors held the highly-ranked Cougars to six points for more than 47 minutes and forced five turnovers.