Subscribe Today


Thursday, November 27, 1913


We know that it never works to wake a baby up to see it laugh. Last Saturday the town had a most satisfactory day. A couple of strangers appeared in town and one of them caused the other to go into a hypnotic sleep in the drug store window. The man lay exposed to the public gaze all the afternoon, and the people gathered around that window and watched the subject.

Along about dark when the wonder of the exhibition had begun to fall, Dr. Howard came along and saw the marvelous demonstration of hypnotism and catalepticism in which the subject was impervious to pain and impervious to sensibility, in which state a steel hat pin may be run through the arm without pain or bleeding. And the Doc being a medical man and hep to some of the mysteries of the craft gently touched the sleeper with a pin on his ankle, locating with a great deftness and skill some nerve which had not surrendered to the magician’s power.

The subject woke up with great suddenness. He was excited, peevish and petulant. He came out of that window with promptitude. He carried on something terrible. He hit the doctor a fearful blow on the head, and it took about four men to hold the Doc, who would have annihilated the performer. The mayor found the stranger guilty of assault and fined him five dollars, so part of the admission money stayed with us.



Married at the home of the bride on Stony Creek, Miss Lanie Beverage and Emmett Galford, by Rev. Geo. P. Moore, Wednesday, November 19, 1913. The attendants were Miss Ida Beverage, sister of the bride, and Fred Hefner, of Buckeye, Miss Stella Meeks and Frank Beverage. After the marriage the bridal party with about twenty-five guests were invited to the dining room where they partook of a fine dinner. The bride is a daughter of the late Jacob Beverage and Mrs. Nancy Beverage and is a very industrious young lady. The groom is a young man of good habits and industrious.



Tom Lowe, a young tramp, claiming to be from Weston, was arrested by railway officer Paris D. Yeager last Friday for riding blind baggage, and given a ten day sentence by Squire Smith. Saturday morning he was put on the chain gang to work on the court house yard. He did not like the work any too well and made a run for liberty. He got to the top of the hill above the jail and well across the field toward the woods, where the bullets from Edgar Cochran’s gun began to come painfully close and he decided to return.



Mrs. Vester Gilmore has been very much complaining for a few days.

Emmett Galford and wife are visiting in this part.

The new post office here will begin service in a few days with W. E. Wood postmaster. Woodrow is the name of the new office.

This community was sorely shocked when the news of the death of Samuel O. Baxter was received, although he had been sick for several weeks. He knew everyone and everything until just a few minutes before he died. His children all being present, he called them all to his bedside with Mrs. Baxter, and bade them final farewell.



Fine weather after the big snow storm. The roads in places were completely blocked.

The Arbogast telephone line up Back Mt. was repaired last week.

The Monroe Lumber Co. is putting out some fine lumber.

A. W. Tallam is on the sick list.

We are glad to hear J. W. Oliver, of Greenbank, will soon be home from Johns Hopkins Hospital.



Communion services were held at the Presbyterian Church here Sunday, after an interesting sermon by Pastor, Rev. A. S. Rachal from the text, “The effectual fervent prayer of the righteous availeth much.”

Deputy Sheriff Jamie McComb and Miss Mary McCarty passed through this village Sunday enroute to the Rimel neighborhood where Miss McCarty is teaching school.

J.S.B. Pyles and wife marketed their poultry at Marlinton Monday.

Edgar Smith went to Beaver Creek Monday to see about getting a job of work.

A.B. McComb is building a large warehouse to better accommodate his constantly increasing mercantile business.

J.H. Saunders has moved into the Susan Walker property and Everett G. Herold moved into the dwelling vacated by Mr. Saunders known as the “old jail.”

Miss Lynette McKeever, who has been home several days on account of a severe cold and cough, returned to school at Lewisburg Wednesday to resume her studies.

Raleigh and Loy Curry, who have been at Ritchie county several weeks, have returned to this community.

Uncle William Curry has been quite indisposed for several days, we hope for his immediate recovery.

John A. McLaughlin was here Saturday interviewing our merchants and scattering good cheer among his many friends.

Sheriff Cochran, alias “Old Sleuth,” did some very effective detective work in this district last week.

Mrs. Mayme Jordan who has been on the sick list for several week is convalescent at this writing.


The Kryder football team and Greenbank team played a match game at Arbovale last Saturday, resulting in a score of one to one.

Charles Gum was in town last week looking after hand for logging.

Kerr Brothers have moved their threshing machine to Buffalo Mt.

Dick Sheets passed through town one day enroute to Durbin for some school supplies.

One day last week while cutting wood, Fag Phares cut all the fingers off of one of Otis Flynn’s hands.


J.W. Deputy, of Dunmore, was in town Monday. He reports killing a big buck dear during the snow storm two weeks ago.

J.M. Adkison is in town for a few days. He expects to start on his annual migration to Florida after the middle of December.

Moses Underwood, of Beaver Creek, was here Monday. He got a fine bear two weeks ago in the snow storm. The bear had come off the Alleghenies and gone into a brush patch near the Beaver Creek schoolhouse and lay down within two hundred yards of the house. The neighbors gathered up for a bear hunt when the tracks were discovered. Mr. Underwood stationed himself on the back track and the bear came out where he went into the brush patch, and a well directed shot brought him down.

Andy Wheeler, a very respectable man of Edray, paid his annual visit to Marlinton Tuesday to pay his taxes, and came to see us and renew his subscription to his favorite county paper.

J.P. Shue, of Spice, was in town Tuesday, and came to see us. He tells us he is summoned to the Tucker County Circuit Court next week as a witness in a trial of an Italian for murder. While visiting relatives at Davis some weeks ago, an Italian woman was drowned in the Blackwater dam at that place. This woman and an Italian man had ridden from Cass to Davis on the same train Mr. Shue had been on, and he was able to identify the woman at the inquest.


Samuel C. Baxter, departed this life at his honor Saturday, November 22, 1913, after illness of several weeks duration aged 58 years. On Sunday he was buried at the Cochran graveyard, in the presence of a large crowd, being not less than four hundred people present. The service was at West Union Church, conducted by the Rev. Geo. P. Moore, the same minister performing the ceremony at his marriage over forty years before.

Mr. Baxter was a son of the late Wm. Baxter, he was a good citizen and will be greatly missed in his home and community. His wife was Mary A., daughter of the late James B. McClure. She with her their two daughters, Mrs. Lloyd VanReenen and Bertha, and their five sons, Charles, James, Elmer, Neal and Levi, survived him. All are well to do, straight forward, upright citizens, a credit to their parentage.

Mr. Baxter was converted and united with the M.E. Church about thirty-three years ago, and has honorably maintained his church standing and obligations ever since.

In his death, the declaration of the Apostle Paul, 1 Cor. 15,54, last clauses, “death is swallowed up in victory,” was never more fully illustrated than in his case. He died shouting, and that is enough to satisfy any body. Life to his memory, peace to his ashes: his friends will know where to find him at the sounding of the last trumpet.


more recommended stories