100 Years Ago

Thursday, December 24, 1920

J. H. Lindsey was over from Linwood on Tuesday. He had a timber cutting contract with the West Virginia Spruce Lumber company the past year, and laid up something for a rainy day. On his way over, he came across Thorny Flat to Stony Bottom, and had to break the way through the deep snow, being the first man across since the storm.

– – –

W. W. Galford was down from Dunmore on Tuesday. He has lost a number of cattle the last season in the Allegany range. This is a common complaint among stockmen this year. He got trace of one three year old, however, finding a hide which filled the description of his steer, but the brand had been cut off. He feels so kindly toward the man who skinned his steer that he will give him the hide if he will call, being willing to let the hide go with the rest of the steer.

– – –

Follansbee – While 15 men were wooing the fickle goddess of chance in two poker games being played at a local resort, five masked bandits entered through a rear door and, with drawn revolvers, held up the proprietor and players. Four of the bandits kept the 15 men lined up against the wall with their hands above their heads while the fifth went through their pockets. Approximately $4,000 in money, a diamond ring, eleven watches and other articles were taken by the robbers.


Faust sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for renewed youth. Ponce de Leon sacrificed his life in search of this wonderful fountain. Washington Irving has told in language both interesting and instructive how Tom Walker traded his soul to the Devil for worldly riches. Tom’s wife, Martha, however, tried to drive a harder bargain and when the Devil would not agree, tried to scratch his eyes out. In this, she was not so successful as she had always been with Tom and after her fray with his Satanic Majesty the only thing left to indicate her fate was her heart hanging on the branch of a tree.

Tom Walker, of course, is dead, but “his spirit goes marching on.”

Thousands of people are constantly trading their souls for money, and many other thousands are bartering not only their souls but their lives also, for a fleeting hour of joy. Life, health and reputation weigh but lightly in the balance against things which are sordid and repulsive.

Many women appear to dress solely for the purpose of attracting and arousing the curiosity of men. Our modern dance halls where the tender touch, the close embrace and every rhythmic motion of the body tends to destroy modesty and arouse all that is sensuous within us, cost a price in the end which few are prepared to pay. In the darkness of the moving picture theatre often darker plans are laid, and the harmless auto converted into a den of ill fame.

All which prepares its victims for the final deal, and like Faust and Tom Walker, we find that the Devil can not be cheated out of his pay. It may be in money, it may be in reputation, but it is always in disgrace and often in loathsome disease as well. – U. S. Public Health Service


Mrs. Evaline Johnson died at her home near Marlinton Tuesday morning, December 21, 1920, aged 88 years.

A year or more ago, she suffered a stroke of paralysis and she had been in declining health ever since, though being able to be about some. On last Wednesday, she was paralyzed again.

Mrs. Johnson was one of the oldest and best known residents of Pocahontas county. She was the eldest child of the late Squire John Waugh of Indian Draft, and his wife, Martha Moore Waugh. Of her father’s family, but two remain, Mrs. Anna Potts, of Elkins, and John Waugh, of Marlinton.

Mrs. Johnson was thrice married. Her first husband, Washington McNeil, died during the Civil War, leaving a number of small and helpless children to be cared for by the mother. The children who survive their mother are Mrs. Clarissa Duncan, of Buckeye, Mrs. Thomas Houchin, of Hosterman, and Mrs. Sallie Oden, of Hamilton, Ohio; J. B. McNeil, near Marlinton. Another son, Rev. J. W. McNeil preceded his mother to the grave about a month ago. Her grandchildren and great-grandchildren are numbered by the score.

Her second husband was the late John Moore, of Marlinton, and her third marriage was to the late Ewing Johnson, who died about a year ago.

Mrs. Johnson was buried at Mt. View cemetery on Wednesday afternoon, the service being conducted from her home.

For many years, Mrs. Johnson had been a professing Christian, a consistent member of the Methodist church. She lived a useful, helpful life, and was ever ready and willing to help in times of trouble and distress. Before being laid aside by the infirmities of age, she was a regular and welcome visitor at the homes of her many friends.

more recommended stories