100 Years Ago

Thursday, September 27, 1918

There is going to be an election in November, but you would never know it if you depended upon the talk in the neighborhood. It is only a little over a month away. There is no issue presented. Both parties are for the vigorous prosecution of the war. The country is doing pretty well, thank you. We always believed ourselves to be the greatest country on earth, but never had quite so good a chance to demonstrate it to the world as now…

When you want anything done, get a busy man to do it. We do not look for any internal trouble over the election.

The enemy will be further dismayed when he finds that he has to face a nation that can fight and hold an election at the same time, something that the other warring nations do not deem compatible. Everything goes to prove that the United States is an exceptionally healthy experiment of the true form of Christian government…


The Fourth Liberty Loan will be ushered in on Saturday, September 28, 1918, at noon by the blowing of every whistle and the ringing of every bell of the nation.

The loan is for six billion dollars; the rate of interest is 4 1/4 percent and the bonds run for 20 years. They are free from taxation.

The campaign lasts from September 29 to October 19 and speeches will be made in every community. The county is being systematically organized, and every person will be given an opportunity to buy bonds to the extent of his ability or give a satisfactory reason for not doing so…

It is your patriotic duty to buy these bonds. It is also profitable.

– – –

School teachers will be asked to have their scholars make four minute patriotic speeches at least one day in the week this year.


M. J. McNeel and Henry Payne left last Sunday morning for Tulsa, Oklahoma to attend the reunion of Confederate Veterans there.

Glen Callison and Herbert Kidd who have been in training for some time came in of a five day furlough and spent Sunday with home folks These young gentlemen, the very picture of health, showed evidences of good work in their cantonments and everybody was delighted to see them looking so well.

Homer Callison of Cul-peper County, Virginia, spent the weekend with  his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Callison.

The Hillsboro High and Graded Schools opened last Monday with an enrollment of 154; 43 of this number to the High School with more to follow.


We had quite a frost Saturday night, which did considerable damage to corn, buckwheat, etc.

The death angel visited our little neighborhood twice quite recently.

On Friday night he called the infant child of Boyd Nelson and wife, aged about five weeks, and on Sunday morning, the infant child of Willard Taylor and wife, aged about one week. Both were buried at the Wilmoth Graveyard.


Jack Frost last night cooked things just right.

Corn seems to be good but not all cut yet.

Wheat was of a fine quality and made about 18 bushels per acre.

I see some more concrete bridges. I wonder if they will build them over the streams with approaches or to one side without approaches.

The season will soon be here for shooting pheasants and none to shoot.

I don’t believe there is one bird to the square acre, the fact is there is not any comparatively speaking.

Squirrels are a thing of the past here.


County Court was in session Tuesday. Contracts for concrete bridges across Bucks Run and Swago Creek were let to the Duncan Construction Company.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Baxter, September 29, 1918, a son.

E. C. Smith and Austin Duncan moved to Spruce last week.

Clarence Smith and French Moore have been admitted to Washington & Lee as student soldiers.

Mrs. J. Hunter McClintic has gone to Knoxville, Tennessee, to spend the winter with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Denison. Mrs. McClintic’s husband is a captain with the American expeditionary forces in France. She will remain with her parents for the duration of the war.

W. A. Bratton is here from Washington for a few days. He has accepted the important position of assistant counsel of the Food Administration.


Letter from Private William H. Cackley, CO. C. Motor Trans. Corps. and Repair Unit

Dearest Mama and Dad;

I suppose you think I have been sent overseas, but I am not much farther from home than I was while at Richmond. We are about two miles outside of Baltimore, Md., at Camp Holabird. I don’t know how many soldiers are here, but there must be 30,000 or 40,000.

We left Richmond at 9 o’clock yesterday morning and got here about 5 p.m. We passed through Fredericksburg, Virginia, Washington, D.C and Baltimore.

The boys from home are scattered all over the U. S. Claude, Winfred, Fred Moore and Loudermilk went to Gettysburg, Pa. Kramer, Siple, Swanson and Town-send came here.

Edwin Bruffey was sent to Florida. The mechanics all came here and the truck drivers went to Gettysburg.

We were issued two blankets, a mess kit and a cot last night. I don’t know what we will do or how long we are going to be here. This is quite a different camp from the one we have been used to. We sleep in tents, eight men to each tent.

How are you and Papa getting along these days? I had a letter from Mary Frances or rather from Mayme this week and two from Agnes.

How is Mrs. Ruckman and Everett Hefner? Hope both are better.

Well, Mama, I won’t write anymore this time, but will write to you real soon and tell you more about this camp.
With lots of love.

Your only son,


Stella Frances, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Kellison, of Lobelia, on September 21, 1918. On Sunday the little body was laid to rest at Emmanuel Church. The bereaved parents wish to express their appreciation of the kindness extended to them by their neighbors.

– – –

Mrs. Elizabeth Ruckman, widow of the late Wallace W. Ruckman, died at her home on Stamping Creek, Tuesday morning, September 24, 1918, after a long illness. She was in her 66th year. Burial at the Ruckman graveyard, near Marvin Chapel. Mrs. Ruckman is survived by her three children, Mrs. Nancy Boblett, Miss Maggie and Early Ruckman.

Her maiden name was Patton. For many years she was a member of the Presbyterian Church. She lived a useful Christian life and her death is lamented by a large circle of friends.

more recommended stories