Thursday, April 23, 1914

M. C. Canterberry, a farmer of Pittsburgh, was reading a paper the other morning containing an account of the war in Mexico, when his glass eye exploded.
There was great excitement in town Monday night. A great noise was heard by all those who were up late. It occurred about 9:30 p.m. Coming as it did in the dead of night it was particularly appalling. The firemen gathered as they felt sure it was a local skyscraper building falling down, and a close examination was made. Men ran from away up town. Finally they decided that they were like the Englishman who said that he thought he had heard something but it turned out to be only a noise. The crowd dispersed and it was the concensus of opinion that in allowing for the difference in the time, Huerta had fired that belated salute. But when morning came the cause was apparent. One of the tall cliffs on the mountain overlooking the river had fallen. This tall cliff which had lifted its awful form above the river mists for ages, crumbled and fell in the still spring night, bearing down great trees, and causing the terrifying sound in the night time. No cause can be found in its giving way. It seems to have fallen from its own weight.
Captain H. B. Miller, of the American Rescue Workers, in coming from Richwood to Seebert, got lost in the mountains Saturday and wandered around until he met a foreigner, who put him on the right road. He reached Seebert about 8 o’clock Sunday night, a little the worse for two days and a night in the woods.

Aaron Moore died at his residence in the vicinity of Marlinton on Friday afternoon, April 17, 1914, aged 78 years and 9 months. Sometime the night before he had suffered a stroke of paralysis, from which he never regained consciousness.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Susan Moore, four sons and two daughters. The sons are Andrew, John, Theodore and Edwin. Mrs. George McCollum and Mrs. Charles Baxter are the daughters.
Aaron Moore was the oldest child of the late John Moore and Jane Baxter, his wife.
For 65 years he was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and held in highest esteem as a faithful and active member. In his secular dealings he was absolutely honest and above all suspicion, and no one could be more kindly disposed to all acquaintances. All persons knowing the deceased, feel that it may be most pertinently said of him, “Mark the perfect man and behold the upright, for the end of that man is peace.” W. T. P.

H. M. Lockridge has a force of men working on the road between Marlinton and Minnehaha Springs.
Alfred McComb has started a new store near his father’s residence on Beaver Creek, and is ready to serve his customers with a complete stock of brand new goods.
Mrs. A. B. McComb is still at the Hinton Hospital where she has undergone two severe operations.
G. W. Ginger’s new house is rapidly nearing completion.

Some of our people are on the sick list with colds and gripp.
A. E. Sharp has moved his family from Campbelltown to the Gibson mill where he will truck logs for the company.
Henry Moore has imported a fine Kentucky saddle and driving horse.
J. W. G. Smith purchased a fine horse from Tone Sheets.
The good people of Hamlin Chapel have purchased the seats in the Campbelltown church. This makes a great improvement in the church as well as comfort for the people.

We are certainly glad to learn that the good judgment of the citizens of Durbin has been aroused to the greater interest in regard to roads within the town limits. About a year ago it proposed to close the Staunton and Parkersburg Pike, and not permit it to be used for traffic. We thought at the time of this proposal that it was one of the most ridiculous things we had ever heard of, to close the “Old Pike,” which is an honor not only to the town but to the state. Why close it to trade? It is on a much better grade, and has a better foundation than the road that has been constructed through the town. The newly constructed road runs parallel to the railroad, the length of the town and therefore renders it dangerous to people riding or driving horses that are easily frightened by trains.
We are glad to note that the citizens of the town are now at work on the “Old Pike.” …The motion to close the “Old Pike” seems to have originated from a few private citizens who might have been financially better off. We hope they shall see their mistake and in the future not attempt to block the road with building.

Findley Brothers lost a very fine bay stallion horse Saturday night. This is their second loss in fine horses since they came to Stony Bottom.
W. R. Moore unloaded a car load of National wire fencing at Sitlington last Friday. Now is the time to buy wire and save freight prices.
I. B. Bumgardner has gotten his first shipment of bicycles.
It has begun to look like spring has sure enough come.

We had a very pleasant Easter Sunday. Instead of an egg feast the Sunday school children gave their eggs as an Easter offering, bringing twenty-three dozen to be sold for the benefit of the school.
W. T. Sutton has sold his house and lot in town. He expects to make his home for the summer with his father, James T. Sutton.
Miss Mabel Gillispie returned home from Cass where she had been attending school the past winter. She with Misses Mabel Woods, Zura Warner, Stella Orndorff and Floy Gillispie attended the examination.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. B. M. Orndorff, April 1, a son. Also to Mr. and Mrs. Monroe Beard, April 12, a son.
Mrs. Uriah Hevener, Sr., spent last Thursday at J. O. Beard’s.

The weather is quite a bit moist.
The Oliver and Wright sales were well attended and everything sold very well.
Quite a good many of our ladies went to Marlinton to buy their spring and summer hats.
We understand a new parsonage will be built at the Minnehaha Springs this summer. H. M. Lockridge gave two or three lots and will help build it.
Miss Cornelia Showalter died very suddenly at Durbin Sunday morning, aged eleven years. She was buried at Cloverlick beside her father.
Mrs. Davis Grimes, an aged lady, died at Frost Tuesday night. She was a good Christian woman and had many friends. She was buried at Mt. Zion church beside her husband who died about twenty years ago.
Business looks good in Cass. That will make one of the leading towns in the state soon. B. B. Hamrick, we understand, will start a meat shop there soon.

We are very sorry to hear of Newton Moore’s house burning Saturday evening.
Mrs. Grover Moore is with her brother, Loy Hively.
The roads are getting in fine shape. Get your auto in running order.
Mrs. Newton Moore is at the home of her brother, Wise Herold.
Miss Enid Harper has gone to Falling Spring to attend Normal School.

The farmers are very busy preparing for corn and oats crops.
William Bruffey has moved to the hotel property in Lobelia.
There is plenty of snow on Brier Knob yet. It is reported the snow drifted there from 27 to 30 feet deep last winter.
Some of the cattle have been driven to the mountains to look out for themselves – rather early for this season.



more recommended stories