Subscribe Today

100 Years Ago

Thursday, August 16, 1917

Perry H. Stonecipher was killed while at work on the big mill at Winterburn last Thursday evening. He was on the conveyor which takes slabs and other refuse to the burner, and a load of slabs was dumped on him. He was killed instantly, and his body was being carried to the burner with the wood when another employee happened to see it and stopped the endless chain arrangement. Stonecipher was 42 years old and leaves a wife but no children. His body was taken to Mill Creek for burial. He was a native of Grant county.

– – –

John A. W. McLaughlin was seriously injured by a large pile of ties falling on him at Deer Creek last Friday evening. He and others had been loading ties and had taken them from the bottom of the pile. The heavy oak ties fell over on him. Both legs were broken and he was otherwise injured. He was hurried to the Marlinton Hospital where it was found necessary to amputate one limb. McLaughlin is about 54 years old. His wife died about six weeks ago.


Hubert Echols, Cashier of the Bank of Marlinton, and R. M. Maugans, bookkeeper for the Maryland Lumber Company with a man from Ohio who appeared to be interested in West Virginia reals estate. The party was equipped with stout sticks, field glasses and things and were prepared to spend the day in the open, looking over the large cutover holdings of the Company.

They had gotten as far as Indian Rock, which overlooks the village of Denmar and the Beard Community from the east side of the river. Mr. Maugans stepped on a large flat stone which move. Out from under the rock came a big rattlesnake like a streak of light, headed for Mr. Echols, who was several paces behind Mr. Maugans. The Cashier laid about him with his stick, and soon there was one less rattlesnake.

Mr. Maugans then called to Mr. Echols to look out for a big rattler which was coiled near him, and rattling to beat the band. Mr. Echols was not rattled, however, and he busted this snake with his club when it came to him.

This proved to be the king snake of the woods, nearly four feet long, very thick, and carried a whole string of rattles.
Pretty soon another large rattler was discovered and dispatched.

The party was now about ready to call it a day and quit, but they looked up their company and inquired of him if he wished to further view the landscape. He replied that he hardly considered it necessary, and they wended their way cautiously and carefully back to the settlement.

Indian Rock is a noted rattlesnake den, and there were apparently snakes at home when the gentlemen called the other day.


The weather has been fine for haymaking. Some farmers who had small crops are through; others are still cutting and putting it away. The crop was very good this year and a good many cattle will be wintered in this vicinity.

Four new silos are to be erected here this year – H. H. Sweetwood, two; D. M. Callison, one; and Mrs. J. W. Beard, one.
Ernest McCoy lost a cow recently, it being killed by the train.

Mrs. G. C. Beard, who recently returned from the Marlinton Hospital, is reported not much better.


Mrs. Dr. R. M. McIntosh, of Elkins, is spending some time with the Misses Wallace at Millpoint.

Miss Lucy Wilson, of Staunton, came last week and is spending her vacation with her sister, Mrs. Lanty McNeel.

T. L. and C. G. Beard were on Williams river last week looking after their stock.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel Smith, a son.

The blackberry season is here – the last berry of all – so let’s fill all the empty jars.

Let everybody join in prayer for a speedy peace on earth.


First day, September 4th, leave Marlinton, 10 a.m., arrive J. S. McNeel 11 a.m. See hog pasture, purebred cattle, saddle stallion, water system and light plant.

Leave J. S. McNeel’s 11:40, and arrive at E. H. Moore’s 11:50. See corn and clover.

Leave E. H. Moore’s 12:05 and arrive at Fair Ground, Hillsboro, 12:10. Lunch. Coffee served by W. A. Browning.

Leave Fair ground 1 p.m., arrive G. R. Curry’s 1:10. See corn demonstration and club members’ poultry.

Leave G. R. Curry’s 1:30, arrive at Joel Beard’s 1:40. See herd of calves and sheep.

Leave Joel Beard’s at 2 p.m., arrive at R. M. Beard’s 2:40. See potatoes, soy beans and calves.

Leave R. M. Beard’s 3:10 p.m., arrive at J. M. Cutlip’s 3:35. See corn demonstration.

Leave J. M. Cutlip’s arrive D. M. Callison’s. See Polled and Horned Hereford, corn, soy beans and meadow.

Last stop of the first day.


Early Edgar Pritt departed this life July 28, 1917, aged nearly 24 years. Last October he was taken ill very suddenly with the dread disease of tuberculosis and was a great sufferer until the end came. His remains were laid to rest in Oak Grove cemetery near Hillsboro on Sunday.

Two years ago he married Miss Minnie Ware, youngest daughter of James Ware, who survives with a small child. He also left to mourn his sad departure his father, mother, three brothers and five sisters – Mrs. Luther Fowler, of Hillsboro, and Mrs. Fred Roads, of Renick.

Early was taken away without a murmuring or complaining word during his illness…

Oh, how sadly he will be missed by his friends and loved ones, but God’s will must be done.

more recommended stories