Subscribe Today

100 Years Ago

Thursday, May 17, 1917

Fear is a dreadful thing. Though the country is at war, the haunting fear that possessed us for nearly three years that the United States might not be united when the supreme moment came, has passed. The people of this country have reason to be of good cheer. A year ago, this could not have been stated so emphatically, for there were signs of plots within our borders that were far more disquieting than anything that we had to fear from without. We never lost faith in the country, but the ultimate proof was not forthcoming until the declaration of war, and then the cohesion came that made us safe.

The country is well governed. United we stand…

– – –

The McGuinness of Longford county, Ireland, is looking up. He was steeped in iniquity and Sinn Fein, and was convicted and sentenced to three years in prison. While in jail, an election for a member of the House of Commons was held and he was elected over Patrick McKenna by a majority of 37. The vote stood 1498 to 1461. In this country when a boy begins to show signs of life, opinion is divided by the sober elements of the community as to whether he will land in jail or in Congress, and it does not happen often that he lands in both. In jail today, and in Parliament tomorrow, such is life.

– – –

Three captains courageous from this county have gone to the training camp for officers at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana. They are John H. McClintic, Ralph A. Yeager and Elmo Meade Arbogast.

– – –

In answer to an inquiry submitted by Maude, as to why the ramp is called a leek down below, we are compelled to say that we do not know, unless it is because in communities where they use gas, if a person’s breath is tainted by ramps, the unsuspecting householder begins to hunt for a leak in the gas pipes.

– – –

Farmers on the streets of Marlinton were never so scarce as they have been for the last month. Somebody said they were all at home putting out extra big crops. Boys dropped corn this year who never dropped before

– – –

A big forest fire is raging on Marlin Mountain near the Mt. View Orchard.


Oats sowing and potato planting is the order of the day. A large amount of corn, oats and potatoes are being planted.

W. A. Barlow and son, Glenn, of Onoto, were business callers here recently.

We have had an epidemic of measles in this part for some time.

Mrs. Nellie Kellison, of Buckeye, is staying with her aunt Mrs. O. W. Kellison.

C. D. Newman and son, Clarence, of Knapps Creek, brought some cattle here to graze.


W. B. Hudson died at his home on Galfords Creek Saturday, aged 77 years. Mr. Hudson leaves his wife, one son, Jesse Hudson, two daughters, Mrs. Charles Mann and Mrs. Earl Sutton, his brother J. L. Hudson, of Durbin, and his sister, Mrs. Uriah Bird of Marlinton, besides a host of friends to mourn their loss. Mr. Hudson was one of our best citizens, honest and upright in all his dealings. A very large crowd attended his funeral. Burial at the home graveyard.

Eugene Kelley has his new storehouse about completed.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Guy Campbell, at Raywood, a girl.

C. E. Pritchard is building a large bay window to his house.

Chris McLaughlin lost a valuable mare last week.

We have some men in the county that wanted to fight Mexico two years ago. Now if they would turn out, the war would stop in three jerks of a dead sheep’s tail. Bark is a good dog, but hold on is a better one.


We are having very disagreeable weather, almost cold enough to snow and we have but little rain, but no sunshine. The old saying is: A cold wet May for a good crop of hay.

Our farmers are backward about corn and potato planting. Some say the potato crop will be so large this year that you can’t give them away. We hope it will be so with everything that is to satisfy hunger… We would hope to see this happen, and when every man who owns a farm raises all he can and works the farm as our fathers and grandfathers did, we will have plenty and to spare. Our people don’t work the farm enough. That is why prices are so high. Too much laziness is practiced. Our boys are not being raised to do farm labor because the fathers let the brush grow while they go to the lumber camps and the boys go fishing and cut the goods boxes in the town stores and postoffice, while the girls are playing rook or something worse and not helping their mothers in the kitchen and garden as good girls should do.


War news are plenty and prices are alarming.

John Williams has three fine teams for sale or trade. Come to the Durbin Livery to see the stock.


Miss Dakota Kirk, of Hillsboro, spent a few days last week at the home of Miss Goldie Nottingham.

Julian Nottingham has returned from Richmond to take up a position.

Saul Bosely, a former resident of this place, has returned from Philadelphia.

We are patiently awaiting warm weather and it is badly needed by the farmers in this section.

We are saddened to hear of the death of Warwick Hudson at Wesley Chapel.


Mrs. Lizzie McNeil, wife of Joseph B. McNeil, of Bucks Run, died Friday, May 11, 1917, after a long illness of heart disease, aged 62 years and four months. On Saturday, her body was buried in Mt. View cemetery… Mrs. McNeil was the daughter of the late Captain Lindsey Sharp. After the death of her mother, she made her home with her uncle, the late Montgomery Friel, of Huntersville, until her marriage with Mr. McNeil in 1875. She was a faithful wife, and obliging neighbor and a good christian woman.

Aaron Jordan, an aged and well known citizen, died at his home near Huntersville, Saturday night, May 12, 1917, after a short illness, in his seventy-fifth year. On Monday he was buried at Huntersville. He is survived by his wife and a large family of children. Mr. Jordon was born and raised in Alleghany county, being a slave in the Payne family. At the outbreak of the war he went as body servant of his master, Captain Payne of the Confederate army, and served through the war. Many years ago he came to Pocahontas, settled down near Hunters-ville where he has lived ever since. He had a wide acquaintance.

The little daughter of S. V. Ray, at Cloverlick, aged two years, died Thursday, May 17th.


On last Saturday night L. S. Cochran, of Dunmore, received a hurry call from Vanderpool, Highland county, to come at the earliest moment with his blood hound and help in the search for David Harris who had left his home before daylight on Friday morning to go turkey hunting and had not returned. By the time Mr. Cochran could get there, Harris’ body had been found by a Mr. Corbett in the Dry Run country on the north side of the mountain, about three miles from his home. He was shot in the breast, the bullet going between the second and third rib, through the heart and out at the shoulder. Some thirty feet away lay the gun, a Winchester, and from it a trail of blood to the body. There was an empty cartridge in the barrel of the gun and a load in the magazine. In the dead man’s mouth was a turkey caller. The doctors who examined the body on Sunday afternoon said that it was evident that death had occurred two days before. It was evidently a case of accidental shooting. Beside the gun was a large doty log, and on examining it Mr. Cochran found a chip knocked off of it. Taking the gun, Mr. Cochran let it drop so the hammer would strike the log and a similar chip was knocked from the wood. Harris was a man of forty-five years, married and has several children. His father’s name was George Harris.

more recommended stories