Subscribe Today

100 Years Ago

Thursday, March 22, 1917

Dr. William Neil, of the Kelley Hospital, Baltimore, was called to Marlinton last week by B. M. Yeager to administer the Radium Treatment to Mrs. Yeager. He gave her eighteen hours of treatment and it is hoped the treatment will greatly relieve Mrs. Yeager who has been quite ill for several months. Radium is one of the most costly substances ever discovered, requiring about twenty tons of ore to produce a particle as large as a pin head. Dr. Neil brought with him a few grains valued at $100,000.

– – –

Did you ever think how much misery we would be saved if the newspapers would not print the horrible things that have never happened and would cease from their dire forebodings of what may happen in the future. The most of our troubles are those that never happen. Apprehension is an uncomfortable sensation.

– – –

Addison Mullenax, of Durbin, dropped dead in the shooting gallery of that town Wednesday night, March 21. He appeared in usual health, and his death was due to heart failure. He was about 50 years old. He is survived by his wife and a number of children, one of whom, Berlin Mullenax, is employed in the Marlinton depot.

– – –

A case attracting not a little attention was that of C. J. Richardson against Miss Lillie Milligan, tried before the Board of Education of Edray District Saturday afternoon. The case grew out of the whipping and expelling from school for insubordination of a young son of C. J. Richardson’s and resulted in a decision of the Board upholding the teacher. Miss Milligan is the teacher of the seventh grade of the Marlinton school. After three whippings Mr. Richardson asked that his boy be whipped no more, and in case of further disobedience, that he be expelled. When this was done, he asked the board to dismiss the teacher on the grounds of cruelty and incompetence. After hearing much evidence, the Board decided in favor of the defendant.

– – –

Patrick Cahill, of Wheeling, claims to be the champion “funeral fan” of the world, with a record of 7,000 funerals to his credit. Attending funerals is his hobby. They have held a fascination for him since childhood. Today he is aged 70 years. For 25 years, he has lived a retired life, and during that time he has averaged nearly a funeral a day, attending at times, two a day.


J. D. Wilmoth, of Durbin, returned from his Florida trip on Wednesday.

Robert Gay, of Mt. Hope, spent a few days last week with his mother, Mrs. Lucy Gay.

Ira Hannah, who has been employed on a railroad in Upshur county, has moved to his father’s farm on Buck’s Run.

Dr. M. S. Wilson was called to Wilson, Grant county, Wednesday morning by the death of his nephew, Thomas Wilson, aged 14 years, son of D. W. Wilson, who died in a Cumberland hospital from the effects of pistol shot wounds. On last Friday two boys of his age were fighting and young Wilson attempted to part them. One of the boys drew a pistol and shot him twice, in the neck and in the abdomen.


The question of redistricting was disposed of by being killed outright. Commissioner Arbogast moved to leave the district lines as they are, and was supported by Commissioner McNeel. Dr. Price cast his vote to consolidate the Huntersville and Edray districts. Any proposal to change existing district lines invariably raises a quite unwarrantable disturbance in the county, only comparable to the exciting times of secession, formation of the state in 1863, and reconstruction. The clamor thus raised often frustrates the best efforts of the county officials to better the department of the interior.

A year ago Dominick Pacifico, a native of Italy, bought land near Clover Lick, and with his wife and nine children prepared to settle here permanently. Last winter while working at Thorny Creek he was seized with pneumonia and died in a few days. His wife being utterly unable to support her nine children, all under sixteen years, found homes for some of them, except Corinda, Ato, Alfronso and Pillie, aged 13, 10, 7 and 5. And the county was asked to take them to the poor farm. Instead of this, the county will pay the mother $7.50 per month toward the support of the family, or until homes can be found for them.


We are having lots of rain and high water. Forrest Warwick had a car load of locust posts washed away. Lots of damage done in Cass, water in several stores fifteen inches deep, and several families had to leave their houses. F. Hamed’s barn washed down about ten feet. Several hogs and chickens washed down; one old rooster was rescued by Jesse Warwick and placed on high ground.

Jesse Warwick had the misfortune to lose nine or ten tons of fertilizer which was stored in F. Hamed’s barn. It was covered by several feet of water.

Miss Ruth Warwick gave several of her friends a rook party last Friday night which was very much enjoyed by all present.

Enos Sharp has been making some sugar and molasses; the weather has been bad for making sugar.

George Hannah’s 27 year old horse became frightened and ran away one day last week. Not much damage done only one of the horses ears was dislocated. Don’t know which was frightened the most, George or the horse.


James Varner has moved into the W. J. Barkley house.

John H. Beverage is able to be out again.

Born to Robert Kramer and wife, Sunday, March 18, an eleven pound boy. Mother and baby are doing fine.

Lee Wilmoth has made 15 gallons of maple syrup.


There was quite a flood in the river last week which did considerable damage.

Arthur Nottingham has gone to Johns Hopkins for treatment.

J. B. Nottingham caught a wild cat Monday.

Allie Sheets is working with the carpenter force on the store here. They are getting along nicely.

Loring Nottingham has been doing some plowing between storms.


Misses Grace Curry and Genivieve Yeager, of Marlinton high school, spent Saturday and Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. George Auldridge.

A.C. Barlow has been on the sick list but is somewhat improving at this writing.

Mr. and Mrs. E. F. McLaughlin gave an old time sugar stirring to about forty of their friends Saturday evening.

Ellis Sharp got his fine driving dog drowned in Cave run during the big flood.


Railroad strike, war and rumors of war give the people of Durbin plenty to talk about. Some of our people are laying in groceries to do them a month for fear of the strike.

E. J. Kisner is off to Cumberland this week.


Clark Kellison, an aged and respected citizen of Pocahontas county, died at his home at Buckeye on the 19th day of March 1917, after a short illness. He was in Marlinton last Friday in his usual health. Mr. Kellison was 72 years old on the 3rd day of last September, and has lived all his life in this county. He served through the entire Civil war as a Union soldier and after that war was ended he saw much active service in the far west in the Indian wars.

He was thrice married. He leaves surviving him five children. Porter Kellison, prominent in educational matters of the county, is his oldest son. The other children are, Owen Kellison, Mrs. Cornelius Simmons, George Kellison; and Mrs. Lucy Edmiston of the state of Washington.

more recommended stories