100 Years Ago

Thursday, January 25, 1917

A big tide in the Greenbrier river Monday.

– – –

At the annual meeting of the Marlinton Volunteer Fire Department last Monday night, J. A. Sydenstricker was recommended to the Town Council for chief. Calvin W. Price was elected president, Lloyd Osborne vice-president, and E. C. Ambrose, secretary and treasurer. The next meeting will be the third Monday night of February at the Times office.

– – –

Attache! Attache!You are either in the way, Under foot or out of sight, Playing poker all the night; Come to work with aching head, Grunting, sick and half way dead; Attache! Attache! What good are you anyway?—Another Goose, on Lame Ducks


Pocahontas County – Rich in Historical Localities

The old forts used in Indian time as shown by records and tradition in territory now comprising Pocahontas were as follows:
Fort Burnside – On the Greenbrier river. Location not definitely known. Supposed to be near the station Burnside on the Greenbrier division of the C&O railway.

Fort Cloverlick – On Clover Creek about one and a half miles from its mouth, near the south fork of the creek, and about 300 yards from the residence of the late C. F. Dorr.

Fort Drennen – West of the public road, about 300 yards, in an old orchard, at the foot of Elk Mt., half a mile northwest of Edray.

Fort Buckley – At Mill Point on the site of the home of Isaac McNeel, on the northern bank of Stamping creek about one and a half miles from the Greenbrier river. Sometimes called Fort Day or Fort Price.

Fort Warwick – Located on Deer Creek about three miles from its mouth and about four miles from Cass. This Fort was near the home of Peter H. Warwick.

There was also an old fort near Green Bank on land formerly owned by James Wooddell and now owned by Henry Wooddell. The name of this fort is not known. The old building was still standing a few years ago and may still be there.

There was also an old fort on the Greenbrier river near the mouth of Stony creek on the Levi Gay farm, now owned by Pat Gay. It was at this place Baker was killed by the Indians. Richard Hill, the ancestor of all the Hills in the Levels, and Baker in the early morning went to the river to wash for breakfast, when the Indians fired on them killing Baker, but Hill escaped to the fort. The alarm was given that Indians were in the country and about twenty men came from the Levels. The Bridger boys left the main party and took a near cut and were killed in the low place on the mountain now owned by W. H. Auldridge where they were waylaid and killed by Indians.

Previous to the time of the forts named above, General Andrew Lewis, acting on instructions from the Governor of Virginia, in the year 1755 established a fort known as Fort Greenbrier on the land that he had prior to that time surveyed at the mouth of Knapps Creek on the Greenbrier river. The river had been named in 1751, and this is demonstrated by the order to establish the fort at Greenbrier. This fort stood about where the courthouse stands now. Gen. Lewis was at this place when he marched his company to join Braddock. He was in the disastrous battle near Pittsburgh where Braddock was slain and left 800 men dead on the field. These bodies were not buried, until their bones were collected years after. It is probably the most savage occurrence in the history of the English Race.

The work has begun to preserve the traditions of our ancestors. Every native born should see to it that the memory of our forefathers is not to perish from the earth…

The blood still runs in our veins. We hope and believe that it is the same heroic blood and that it will endure the test when it comes, as it most surely will. In the meantime, the least that we can do is to keep green the memory of the pioneers.


Clyde Gillispie and family started to Durbin last Friday on a sled but found the snow gone too much and had to come back from Boyer.

Emily Alderman, aged about 80 years, died at her home at Kryder last Friday and was buried in the Arbovale grave yard Saturday evening.

Mary Sheets was visiting her brother James Gillispie one day last week.

Fred Conrad, while helping Arch Pugh carry a stove the other day, fell and the stove fell on him and he has not been able to work any since.

We had no mail Monday on account of high water; mail could not cross the creek at the Wilfong place. Court, please build us a bridge.

Bible question – How came the merchants and money changers to be permitted to do business in the court of the Gentiles?


Dr. A. C. Barlow is kept busy night and day doctoring stock.
Uncle Joe Barlow is on the sick list.
Will Gilmore, of Yelk, was here a few days ago to see his brother George.
W. G. Cochran and Preston Duncan were at the county seat on business Saturday.


Geo. W. Callison spent a week with his sons Richard and Homer, in Virginia, returning last Friday.
Mr. and Mrs. John A. McNeel and son, Grady, of Farmington, Washington, came last week to spend the winter with Mrs. McNeel’s father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. John G. Beard.


Miss Mary Ruckman died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Ruckman, at Marvin, January 23, 1917, aged about 30 years, after a long illness of tuberculosis.

Mrs. Jennie Smith, wife of A. J. Smith died at her home at Edray, at eight o’clock Wednesday night, January 24, 1917, after a long illness, aged 73 years. Burial near Edray church Thursday afternoon

Miss Sudie Stephenson, of Monterey, died in Washington, January 23, 1917. She was a sister of John W. Stephenson of the Warm Springs, and the late L. H. Stephenson, of Monterey.

Harvey Snyder, aged about 70 years, died suddenly of heart trouble at the home of his son-in-law, Divers Sharp, near Woodrow, January 17, 1917. He was a native of Highland county, but had lived in Pocahontas county many years. He is survived by a number of children.

more recommended stories