Subscribe Today

100 Years Ago

Thursday, December 28, 1916

Billy Sunday ought to come to West Virginia and get some people to hit the sawdust trail. She is not dry by a d——d sight.
– – –
The population of the jail was increased on Tuesday by the addition of several persons from Durbin, who had brought in more than their share of Christmas liquor. Three large suitcases full of cooking liquor were also confiscated.
– – –
Fred Galford, of Laurel Creek, killed a yearling bear on Black Mountain last Thursday. He was hunting wild cats, and his dogs found the bear’s tracks and trailed it to a hole in the rocks. When Mr. Galford came up he saw the bear stick his head out, and he shot it in the face with small shot. This did not kill it but one of the dogs dragged it from the hole and Mr. Galford shot it behind the ears. One of the hams was sent to Uncle Henry Gilmer at Lewisburg for his Christmas dinner. Last Wednesday Mr. Galford killed a very large wild cat.
– – –
Verna Cutlip, of Droop Mountain, brought us the freshest, greenest bunch of holly we saw this Christmas. He got it from a large holly tree on the land of Wallace Beard, on Droop. This is the only tree of its kind in the county, so far as we know. Just occasionally is a berry seen on it, however.

Last Thursday evening the passenger train from Winterburn was wrecked a mile and a half above the Marlinton Depot and the three passenger coaches were derailed. The cause was a broken rail. Only the parlor car went to the river. No one was seriously injured, though Robert Poage, of Wytheville, Va., has since been in the Marlinton Hospital. Mr. Poage is an engineer in the employ of the Interstate Commerce Commission with the Corps which has been working on the Greenbrier Division. Mrs. Fazier, of Ronceverte, a daughter of Dr. P. D. Arbogast, of Morgantown, was in the parlor car. The wreck delayed traffic about six hours.

E. M. Arbogast, Ex-Sheriff, Pardoned for Carrying a Gun.
Governor Hatfield granted a pardon to E. M. Arbogast, one of Marlinton’s most prominent citizens, and of all the thousands and thousands of Christmas presents that passed in this town during this happy season, that pardon was the one most appreciated.
At the last term of the court, Mr. Arbogast was found guilty of carrying a revolver and there was no option but to impose the sentence of six months provided by the statute. It was shown in the evidence that he considered himself, at the time he stood off his opponent with the pistol, in danger of his life, or great bodily harm and that he is a man getting up in years and of slender physique.
Judge Dice, while he was powerless as a judge to mitigate the sentence, considered that it was a proper one for executive clemency and so recommended.
Mr. Arbogast is extremely grateful to the Governor and to the Pardon Attorney, and to all his friends who so nobly came to his support.
It would have been very embarrassing for a man in his position as an important and useful citizen to stay in jail for six months and work the county roads, besides he did not really have the time to spare. It would also have been embarrassing to his many friends to have passed in automobiles and seen him working with pick and shovel in the side ditch.

The Carpenter boys have taken the cutting of the Pritchard timber. Reece Pritchard will do the skidding. The Warn railroad is into the timber.
The venerable Peter McCarty come to the mill Monday in a snowstorm.
Married at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Thompson, by Rev. G. H. Echols, their eldest daughter, Onie, to Russell Campbell, Sunday, December 17, 1916, at 10 o’clock, in the presence of a few of their friends. After the ceremony a bountiful dinner was served. Miss Thompson is a teacher and Mr. Campbell has a job under Uncle Sam. They will make their home at Dunmore. We wish them success in all their undertakings, and may their young lives be crowned with the richest blessings of Heaven.

Arthur Nottingham and Tom Butcher will spend the holidays visiting relatives and friends at Elkins, Junior and Clarksburg.
Loring Nottingham has had a right sick child, but it is better at this writing. Dr. Hull attending physician.
William Myers intended to move on his farm near Durbin last week but did not get to move on account of ice in the river.

Mrs. John A. McNeel, after a visit of about two months with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John G. Beard, left last week for her home at Farmington, Washington.
Mr. and Mrs. Lanty McNeel were called to Monterey last week by the death of Mrs. McNeel’s father, Squire Osborne Wilson, which occurred rather suddenly at his home in Monterey, on Thursday, December 21, 1916. Mr. Wilson was about 83 years of age, and was one of the leading citizens of Highland county. During the war he was a Confederate soldier, a member of the 31st Va.
Jas. W. Jordan wears the blue ribbon for having butchered the largest hog under two years old in the three counties – Greenbrier, Monroe and Pocahontas – that we have heard of. His gross weight was 634 pounds, and when dressed, he tipped the beam at 570 pounds. Now if any one questions this statement, let him go to J. H. Clark’s Art Gallery where he can see a photograph of the hog and get first hand information as to what we say.

The subject of this sketch was born in Greenbrier County, October 23, 1831, and departed this life December 21, 1916, making her 85 years, 1 month and 28 days old. Her husband, Bradford Barton Bruffey preceded her to the great beyond nearly thirty-six years ago. Left on time’s side of the bar are their three sons and four daughters – N. S. Bruffey, Mrs. Geo. W. Whiting, of Renick; J. F. Bruffey, T. A. Bruffey, Mrs. G. P. Shisler and Mrs. J. B. Grimes, of Lobelia; Mrs. C. M. Sarver, of Morrisville, Virginia.
Mrs. Bruffey was a daughter of Salathial and Mary Watts, of Greenbrier County. She was one of those noble and magnanimous characters whose friends are numbered by her acquaintances; being ever ready to minister to the wants of those in need of help and sympathy. She was a faithful and loyal christian, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South for many years…
The funeral was conducted by Revs. W. D. Fye and J. W. McNeil at Emanuel church, from which, just as the evening sun was sinking in the golden west, her remains were tenderly borne by six of her grandsons, Cecil, Ross and Edwin Bruffey, Dice and Clyde Grimes and Tom Whiting, to her final resting place to await the resurrection of the just. J.B.G.

Edray Methodist Episcopal Church
continued from December 8
The Rev. W. T. Wilhelm, a Presbyterian minister, was invited to preach the dedicatory sermon, and promptly on Saturday the 8th day of December 1883, appeared at the church in company with Andrew McLaughlin, and at 11 o’clock preached the first sermon in the building – text, Phil. 1:21. At 7 p.m. the same day Rev. A. M. Chappell preached.
On Sunday morning at 11 o’clock, Rev. Mr. Wilhelm announced for his text Genesis 3:15 and spoke for more than an hour, delivering a fine discourse to a very large and attentive congregation, at the close of which, after the singing of the song, “Hear the Voice of Jesus Say,” led by Geo. P. Moore, a statement was made by the building committee as to financial conditions, which gave the information to the public that $166.67 was the balance due on the church, which cost all told, $2,032.25. A canvass for the debt was made and first return showed that $140.00 was paid and in a few minutes the balance was paid. When the collection, which was first cried as it went along, was within $8.00 of being paid, Andrew McLaughlin assumed the balance needed, and the work was done…
An invitation had been extended to Rev. Wm. T. Price, D. D., then of Mt. Clinton, Virginia, to be present and preach a dedicatory sermon. He was prevented from coming, and he sent the following letter, which was read and preserved by Rev. Geo. P. Moore:
Dear Brother Moore:
I regard your pressing invitation to be present and assist in the dedication of Edray Church as one of the most gratifying compliments ever conferred upon me. It causes me deep regret to be unable to be present and take some part however small in the important and interesting services connected with the solemn setting apart of your beautiful house for God’s worship. This assures you that I would be present in spirit.
When conducted in the proper manner the dedication of a place for christian worship is one of the most impressive events that ever occur in any community. For forty years I have been an observer, and my experience shows that where persons become interested in church extension, and attend public worship regularly and devoutly, they become the best and most useful of citizens. Otherwise it always turns out differently…
The following dedication hymn was written for the occasion by Mrs. Anna L. Price, wife of Rev. W. T. Price…

Our Father, God, this lower house
We dedicate to Thee,
O may thy name be written here
So plain that all may see!
Let sweet incense of humble prayer,
The gospel truth and praise,
From earthly walls to heaven arise
Through many Sabbath days.
‘Tis sweet to worship here below,
But sweeter hope is given
Where temples are not made with hands
To worship thee in Heaven.

more recommended stories