Published On: Wed, Jul 30th, 2014

Preserving Pocahontas

981Total Views

Pres. Pocaweb, 7-31

This large group of loggers, women and children are standing on the porch of a boarding house in the lumber town of Denmar. In 1910 the Maryland Lumber Co. purchased more than 16,000 acres of timber here, which extended from the Greenbrier River to Beaver Lick Mountain. The company’s president was J. A. Denison, of Hagerstown, Md. A large band mill was soon put into operation. When the job was finished in 1918 the town and mill site were sold to the State of W.Va. for the proposed tuberculosis sanitarium. The remaining land is now home to the Calvin W. Price State Forest and part of Watoga State Park. Courtesy of Pocahontas Co. Historical Society, ID: PHS000867

Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preserv ingpocahontas.org If you have photographs or documents to be scanned for the county Historical Archive Project contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email info@pocahontaspreser vation.org Prints of photographs from the archives are available.

About the Author