Preserving Pocahontas

The band mill of the Warn Lumber Company, located on Stamping Creek near Mill Point. The mill produced 50,000 board feet of lumber each day. The company cut its timber on the headwaters...

Preserving Pocahontas

An aerial photograph of Camp Thornwood taken in the winter of 1935. This Civilian Conservation Corps Camp was established in May 1933 on the East Fork of the Greenbrier River at the mouth of...

Preserving Pocahontas

Claude Alfred Stimeling, of Marlinton, served during World War II in the United States Army Air Corps. Entering service on April 29, 1942, Stimeling was one of the early inductees photographed at the Courthouse...

Preserving Pocahontas

A large crowd of parishioners gathered at the newly constructed Oak Grove Presbyterian Church in Hillsboro. Still in use today, the church was dedicated in 1911. Courtesy of Sherman Beard, ID: PHP001437 Access the “Preserving...

Preserving Pocahontas

This panoramic photo of the 1925 Pocahontas County Fair held August 17 – 21 is one of many taken by local photographer Cal Gay. The Pocahontas County Horse show at Hillsboro, the Pocahontas Cattle Association...

Preserving Pocahontas

The Douthat Creek School, located on Douthat Creek, two and three-quarters mile from Rt. 39 near Minnehaha Springs. Originally called Lonely Dale School, it was established about 1867 and closed in 1937. Courtesy...

Preserving Pocahontas

Townspeople are gathered on the wooden walk in front of the McNeill Store in Buckeye. This store was located across the “River Road” entrance from the Buckeye School. It was owned and operated by...

Preserving Pocahontas

A C&O crew is pictured with the first motor car used on the Greenbrier Sub-Division of the Chesapeake and Ohio, probably near Cass. A railway motor car, or track maintenance car, was commonly known...