Preserving Pocahontas

“Singing Schools” in America began with New England settlers who believed in the importance of training each churchgoer to sing. In the rural south they became a social event for people looking for something...

Preserving Pocahontas

A group of men and young boys pose with a wrecked log loader on the track at Watoga in 1909. Courtesy of Pocahontas Co. Historical Society, ID: PHS000821 Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at...

Preserving Pocahontas

This great photograph from the Pocahontas County Fair in the 1920s comes from Maxie Gum, of Green Bank. It pictures six musicians playing banjos and fiddles under a tree at the Fairgrounds near Marlinton,...

Preserving Pocahontas

Two Pocahontas County School Buses parked on the football field behind Marlinton High School in the early 1940s. Pocahontas County Historical Society Collection, ID: PHS002520 Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preservingpocahontas.org...

Preserving Pocahontas

A lone car of lumber rests at Burruss Lumber Company on December 20, 1978. William P. McNeel took this photograph of the last loaded car to be shipped from Marlinton on the Greenbrier Division...

Preserving Pocahontas

The photograph of Camp Black Mountain, F-15, Marlinton, W.Va. was probably taken shortly after its construction in 1935. This Civilian Conservation Corps Camp was home to the 2589th Company and was located on Williams...

Preserving Pocahontas

This double wedding took place on New Year’s Day 1913 near Arbovale, W.Va. Back row: Rev. and Mrs. Henderson. Front row, left to right: Charles Gum, Flora Gillispie, Clyde Gillispie-groom, Laura Ervin-bride, Don Ervin-groom,...

Preserving Pocahontas

The Douthat Creek School, located on Douthat Creek, two and three-quarters mile from Rt. 39 near Minnehaha Springs. Originally called Lonely Dale School, it was established about 1867 and closed in 1937. Courtesy...
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!