I Remember…

Sharing memories I was talking with a new friend the other day and she shared some memories of her family’s life which revolved around the coal industry. I had never seen coal, and my knowledge of...

I Remember…

Birthdays come around once a year, just like clockwork. In our younger days, time moved slowly and we couldn’t wait to be six or 21. As we get older, birthdays come around too soon. Birthdays were once...

Around the Forest

by Kristen Beverage Doss An inside look at the Forest Service Living in Pocahontas County my entire life, I have always been aware of how forests, rivers and mountains have made an impact on my little...

I Remember…

Growing Older Growing old is not for the faint of heart. You must be brave to take the next step. Steps in walking, as legs grow weaker and joints hurt. Steps in life, changes that take place...

I Remember…

Grief, sorrow, pain Regardless of age, grief, sorrow and pain come into our lives. Grief - loss of a loved one. Sorrow - bad choices, wrong turns in life. Pain, both grief and sorrow cause us pain. I’ve known...

I Remember…

Outside my window Outside my window, winter is taking place. I’m glad to be inside. Prayers for those who have to venture out in freezing temperatures. The wind is picking up to a gusty whirlwind, and my...

I Remember…

The Friendship Tree I recently heard something on TV that made an impression on me. I cannot quote it word for word, but I will share my interpretation. Friendships are like a tree. The leaves are beautiful, but...

Marlinton UMC celebrates 125 years of ministry

The Marlinton Metho-dist Church celebrated its 125th anniversary October 29, 2107. Rev. David Merryman planned an appropriate service during which he recognized two former pastors, Rev. Karen Brown and Rev. Robert Mann, as well as...