Published On: Wed, Jul 23rd, 2014

Preserving Pocahontas

1,210Total Views

Pres. Poca

Students and teacher in front of the Gum Spring School located on Sheets Road between Green Bank and Dunmore, W.Va. The frame structure was built in 1908 and closed in the 1920s. The building was still standing in 1981. The first teacher was Vincent Clay McCoy, probably in this picture. Other teachers: Ollie Edmiston, Floyd Winters, Clara Sheets, Lottie Edmiston, Lee Wooddell, Ethel Armentrout, Mamie Ginger, Norma Dare Johnson, Willa or Mamie Higgins, Hallie Taylor Vanosdale, Ralph Geiger, Brownie Trainer, Hamed and Mildred McKeever. Children of the following families attended the school: Taylor, Oliver, Acord, Gorrell, Wooddell, Nottingham and Arbogast. Courtesy of Pocahontas Co. Historical Society, ID: PHS000880

Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org or www.preserv ingpocahontas.org If you have photographs or documents to be scanned for the county Historical Archive Project contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email info@ pocahontaspreservation.org Prints of photographs from the archives are available.

About the Author

- The Pocahontas Times can be contacted at 304-799-4973 or e-mail Jaynell Graham at jsgraham@pocahontastimes.com. For website questions please contact Chris Kincaid at chris@pocahontastimes.com