Published On: Wed, May 28th, 2014

Preserving Pocahontas

1,850Total Views

Pres. Poca. web

Names of Pocahontas County residents were listed on the Honor Roll as they entered active military duty during World War II. The large billboard stood at the corner of Eighth Street and Third Avenue in Marlinton, where the old French’s Diner now stands. The names were painted on by Curtis McCoy who added stars to those who died in service. The Honor Roll was taken down in 1948 and is believed to have been stored at the American Legion Hall where it was destroyed by fire in 1956. It was later replaced by the owners of French’s Diner. Photo Courtesy of Pocahontas Co. Historical Society, ID: PHS003079

Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org   or www.preserv ingpocahontas.org If you have photographs or documents to be scanned for the county Historical Archive Project contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email info@pocahontaspreservation.org  Prints of photographs from the archives are available.

About the Author